Winnipeg Human Rights Committee
Zoom Meeting Minutes
Wednesday November 17th, 2021 6:30 – 7:30 PM
Attendees: Jennifer Chieh Ho, Sonia Lemoine, Gus Mardli, Tim Hubick (Guest – Regina), Karen Tyler, Khalid Ahmad, Kathy Ajram (Guest – Calgary), Martha Johnson (Staff), Nicholas Catalano, Steve Sukhbir (Guest – Edmonton)
Regrets: Debbie Leaman
Call to order and welcome at 6:36 PM by Chair Jennifer Chieh Ho
- Land Acknowledgment by Jennifer Chieh Ho
- The PSAC Statement on Harassment was read by Gus Mardii
- Roundtable introduction of members and guests
- Adoption of Agenda and Minutes of October 14, 2021: M: Gus Mardli, S: Khalid Ahmad.
- Finance Report: Khalid we currently have $2,257.76 in the bank account. No expenses incurred since the last meeting
- Martha Oath of Office: Sonia (Secretary) and Nicholas (Vice-Chair)
- Jen Equity Conference call out and Resolutions. Tim Resolutions for disabilities. No questions for either presenter.
- CLIFF Jen $200.00 has been approved by REVP office. M: Khalid Ahmad S: Nicholas Catalano. All in favour. Passed. If you require links to the final CLiFF screening on Nov 22, please contact Jen. We will likely have a book club sessions to follow.
- Bear Clan Patrol and Mama Clan Patrol, Jen we are making donations as per their wish list and walking with them on Nov 21 from 1pm to 4 pm. REVP, HRC members and allies will be joining Mama Clan Patrol does have a wish list. We are waiting to hear back.
- International HR Day December 10th. The cost is $125.00 for the 1 hour live virtual tour of the Canadian Human Rights Museum. Date is Dec 11 from 2 to 3 pm. It will be shared across the Prairie region. Please feel free to share details. M: Nicholas Catalano S: Gus Mardhli. All in favour. Accepted.
- Commemorative events for 2022. February is Black History Month. Jen suggests a poster per week featuring a politician, author and activist. Using a bio for the poster to be submitted one per week with a wrap up the last week with a virtual call of all featured throughout the month. Another option is to reach out to the Jamaican Association of Manitoba. Kathy: Calgary is still in planning mode but will likely send out weekly videos. Jen, March 21st International Day of Elimination of Racial Discrimination Day, we may join rallies or protests dependant on COVID-19 restrictions. We will review making arrangement for Khalid’s and Gus’s presentation on issues in the Middle East. May is Asian Heritage month. June 21 National Day of Indigenous People. Nicholas: Louis Riel Day is recognized in Manitoba. Jen: Please share any information and dates that you have.
- Shared links:
“A petition to tell local MPP, Premier Heather Stefanson and Manitoba Indigenous Reconciliation and Northern Relations Minister Alan Lagimodiere that Manitoba needs a plan to tackle racism within its communities). A recent survey of Manitobans found that 61 per cent believed that racism was a problem in the province. Another survey revealed that over a quarter of Manitoba respondents had experienced racism over the past year, while a further found 58 per cent experienced racism during their lifetime.The federal government, Ontario, British Columbia, Nova Scotia and Alberta already have anti-racism strategies or advisory councils in place. Fredericton, Edmonton and Hamilton have their own anti-racism initiatives. It’s time for Manitoba to join them.”
National Council of Canadian Muslims (NCCM)
ACTION: Committee members to make suggestions (eg. Speakers, etc) for February Black
History Month 2022. Jen will bring information from the Jamaican Association of
Manitoba Nov 25 meeting
Next Meeting: January 6, 2022 6:30 PM
- February 8, 2022 time TBA Guest Speakers for Celebration of Black History Month
- AGM Date: February 23, 2022 6:30 PM
Meeting adjourned by Jen at 8:18 PM