Area Council Committees engage with PSAC campaigns, lobby politicians and raise awareness of issues affecting our members, workers and the Canadian Public. Check out these minutes for current actions and events.
Darlene Lewis Chair – UHEW Local 30016
Corie McGaughey Member at Large – UTE Local 30025
Dragana Ristivojevich Secretary – UTE Local 30025
Stasi L’Hirondelle UTE 30025 & PRC Northern AB Geographical Rep
Bernard Brasen UTE 30025 & 2nd Alternate PRC Northern AB Geographical Rep
Michelle Bradley Local 33067
Marie-France Boudreault UVAE Local 30026
Carm Chan PSAC Rep
Sabino Spagnudo Vice Chair – CEIU Local 30876
Patience Terkper Treasurer – UHEW Local 30703
Monica Hill CEIU Local 30853
Lasia Horbul UVAE Local 30026
Arlene Suzuki UVAE Local 30026
Minute Taker: Dragana Ristivojevich
1. Call to Order: The meeting was conducted by a Zoom video conference under COVID-19 protocols and was called to order at 5:37 pm.
2. Harassment Statement: The Harassment Statement was read by Bernard.
- For tonight’s meeting the Harassment Coordinator is Carm Chan and she can be reached at (780) 908 6512.
3. Attendance: Darlene welcomed everyone to the meeting and did the Land Acknowledgement recognizing that we are on Treaty 6 which is a traditional gathering place. Participants introduced themselves, their affiliation and their positions within the Union.
4. Approval of Agenda: Darlene made a motion to adopt the agenda. Michelle seconded the motion. The agenda was adopted.
5. Adoption of June 09, 2021 Minutes: Friendly amendment to make a few changes to June 09, 2021 minutes and were adopted. Darlene requested that we all forward our E-Mail addresses to Dragana. At the end of the meeting, Dragana received only two E-Mail addresses from the group.
- Secretary Report – Dragana had nothing to add.
- Member At Large Report – Corie had nothing to add.
- Financial Report – Appointment with the bank will be made once the bank rep returns from holidays.
7. Old Business:
- Mobilization – Plans on mobilization are in the works.
8. New Business:
- Resolutions – The Edmonton Area Council all agreed that resolutions are a priority as we are the only Committee that can submit resolutions to The National PSAC Convention by September 17, 2021. We should be encouraging Locals, members and other PSAC committees to forward their resolutions to the Edmonton Area Council Committee.
- A Resolution Planning Meeting will be held in August, 2021 where the focus will be on writing resolutions. Darlene will draft the invite and E-Mail it to Oneil along with the definition of resolutions and a few examples of already written resolutions to be included in the callout for our next meeting. Another meeting is to be held in September, 2021 to vote on the resolutions and to ensure they are properly written before they are forwarded to the PSAC in a timely manner.
- A question was raised on how we can reach out to our members to attend our meetings. Carm will contact Marianne whether Marianne will be able to provide us with email and/or physical addresses of our members.
- Due to COVID, we are unable to host an in-person potluck; however, we could claim our meal and still have our virtual Resolution meeting. We will require breakout rooms on Zoom and have coaches or leads assigned to each breakout room.
9. Action Items:
- Meals to be reimbursed. (Darlene)
- Mobilization Campaign. (Darlene & Sabino)
- To obtain E-Mail and/or physical addresses of our members (Carm)
- Corie – Would encourage PSAC to provide us with tools and resolution templates both in formal writing and plain language.
- Dragana – Nothing to add.
- Bernard – Nothing to add.
- Stasi – Questioned whether or not PSAC is able to hand out the Resolution templates used in the Resolution Training. Stasi provided the website to the PRC Handbook: https://prairies.psac.com/prc-handbook/
- Marie-France – Nothing to add.
- Darlene – Will be away from August 16 to 20, 2021.
- Carm – Nothing to add.
11. Next Meeting Date: August 24, 2021 from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
Meeting Adjourned: Meeting adjourned at 7:13 pm.