Winnipeg RWC Minutes (Nov 2011)
Attended: Vimbai Dune, Carol Selby, Debbie Stern, Dawn MacAulay, Darlene McClure, Deanna Kimball (PSAC Staff)
Regrets: Karon Sackney, Cathy Moar, Paula Nygaard, Gloria KellyCall to Order: 5:25pm
Agenda adopted Darlene/Vimbai m/s
Minutes from September 26 adopted – Vimbai/Darlene m/s
Treasurer report adopted: Carol/Dawn m/s
October 31, 2011bank Balance $3794.08
School Supply Drive donations:
Deposited cash & cheques $1295.71. The rolled coins still need to be deposited.
Donations to schools (discussion and agreement by the committee)
- Darlene suggested LauraSecordSchooland will contact the school to see if they would have any need for a donation (had a fire in the school in 2011), $400.00
- Two other schools donations could be made to – Niji Mahkwa and William Whyte Elementary schools – donation to their lunch programs (400.00 each = $800.00)
- 23 boxes of supplies were collected and donated to Winnipeg School Division #1 in October
Pay Equity at CanadaPost- Victory!!
The Supreme Court of Canada ruled in favour of PSAC today in a pay equity case involving women at Canada Post that was originally filed 28 years ago. The union first filed a complaint over unequal pay in 1983. In October 2005, the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal upheld PSAC’s pay equity complaint against Canada Post and awarded 50 per cent of the wage gap in damages. Since then, the corporation has used every possible legal avenue to have the Tribunal’s decision overturned. More info at, November 17, 2011- PSAC wins Canada Post pay equity case at the Supreme Court of Canada
December 6th Day of Remembrance & Action on Violence Against Women
Manitoba Federation of Labour Luncheon on Dec. 6th, the committee agreed to purchase two tickets for sisters who want to attend. ($40.00) (Vimbai and Debbie would like to attend). m/s Carol/Darlene
Bill C-19 “Elimination of the Long Gun Registry”
Bill C-19 is at the senate committee level. On October 25, the PSAC issued a statement on the website, against the recent Conservative Bill to abolish the long-gun registry. In addition, this bill would destroy all information relating to the 7 million firearms that are currently registered. I have “cut and pasted” the statement below, but you can read it directly on our main page, at: www.psac.com
Visit the Coalition for Gun Control website: it has lots more information.
Member’s Plan 2012 Convention A reminder to committee members to fill out the member’s plan survey deadline January 6th.
Labour Christmas Tree 2011 Donation– The committee agreed to donate $200.00 m/s Dawn/Darlene
Seasonal Celebration – December 14– At this years Seasonal Celebration (Dec. 14) each committee will be hosting a table that will provide members who stop by with information on their committee, the activities that they do and important dates recognized.
- RWC Committee will meet on Monday, Dec. 12 to package toiletries that will be on display on Dec. 14th. Deanna will make tags for members to sign.
- Fact sheet– history, mission, what work do we do a as committee, favourite memories or activities– Dawn volunteered to gather ideas and format a draft of the fact sheet. Contributions should be emailed to Deanna who will forward them to Dawn.
- Suggestion Box:Darlene has volunteered to put together a suggestion box asking: What kind of activities would you like the RWC to take part in that you would get your attention? What types of topics would you like to hear about at the RWC meetings? Do you have suggestions for speakers or events? and for each suggestion the members will receive a ballot that will be entered to win a prize (Dawn is providing the prize which will be drawn for after the event)
- Volunteers for the booth: Need volunteers for set up and being at the booth between 3:30-5 pm; Debbie Stern will be at the booth from 5 – 6 pm; Dawn volunteered for clean-up
Next meeting: Annual General Meeting – Wednesday, January 25 at 5:15pm
Elections will take place at the