Winnipeg & Area Human Rights Committee
Virtual Meeting Minutes
Thursday October 14, 2021 @ 6:00 – 7:30 PM
Attendees: Jennifer Chieh Ho, Khalid Ahmad, Taye Zegeye-Gebrehiwot, Mansi Janjue (phone), Gus Mardli and Tina Matias-Bouchard (PSAC Rep)
Regrets: Nicholas Catalano and Sonia Lamonie
- Call to order at 6:11pm by Chair Jennifer Chieh Ho
- Land Acknowledgment by Jen
- The PSAC Statement on Harassment was read by Gus with Tina Matias Bouchard being the Harassment Coordinator
- Round introductions
- Adoption of Agenda: M/S Taye Zegeye-Gebrehiwot / Khalid Ahmad. All in favour
- September Minutes M/S Gus/Jen. All in favour. Accepted
- Activity Report:
– Jen reported on her participation in a Ceremony at the National Day for Truth & Reconciliation on September 30. Survivors of few residential schools were present at the ceremony. Sharing circle was shared and a presentation by about 8 men & 8 women from the Asian Heritage organization was shared
– Jen motioned to accept her report. Seconded by Gus. All in favour
- Treasurer’s Report: Khalid reported printing out the monthly bank statements. The Committees account balance is sitting at $257.76. No expenses occurred since the last meeting.
Signatories of the outgoing Executive Members shall be removed and replaced by the new Co-Chair along with Treasurer and Chair
9. Election: Jen handed the chair to Tina. Tina explained the process to elect a co-chair and a secretary.
– Jen nominated Nicholas Catalano for the Co-Chair position, Gus seconded the nomination. Jen read Nicolas intention to let his name stand for the position. Jen also read a short intro of Nicolas Catalano. There was no other nomination and Nicolas was acclaimed a Co-Chair
– Jen nominated Sonia Lamonie for the Secretary position, Khalid seconded the nomination. Jen read a short note written by Sonia. There was no other nomination and Sonia was acclaimed a Secretary
10. Old Business:
CLIFF: Jen provided a link to this Labour Festival www.labourfilms.ca/the-2021-films/
Action: Jen suggested 4 screening dates, one per week. The dates are going to be November 1st, 8th, 15th and 22nd; 2021
11. New Business
– Khalid suggested to check out an event on Women’s Rights to their body to celebrate December 10th National Human Rights Day.
– Jen suggested arranging a tour of the Human Rights Museum mentioning that it is Nicolas’ workplace as well
– December 3rd is Persons with Disabilities Day. Jen recommends to meet on December 8th (6:30 – 8:00 PM) to observe Human Rights celebrations.
– Committee members discussed possibilities of guest speakers, PSAC members delivering a panel-like information session including questions and answers.
– Taye Zegeye-Gebrehiwot thought since our time is limited to an hour and a half, it would be really hard to have many speakers and to benefit from their provided information if not given plenty of time for questions and answers
Action: The committee will continue discussing this activity via emails and probably decide by a circulated poll utilizing Doodle
– Jen announced that Siloam Mission is offering volunteer training. First virtual training then in person probably. Khalid and Gus indicated their interest in participating
12. Round Table:
– Tina promoted the Young Workers’ event that is organized by PSAC https://prairies.psac.com/events/winnipeg-young-workers-event/ keep your eyes open and pass the information on.
13. Next meeting: Will send a doodle poll around
Meeting adjourned by Chair at 8:09 PM