Winnipeg Human Rights Committee Meeting June 29, 2020
Present: Jacqueline Nanali (Acting Chair), Debbie Leaman (Treasurer), Tina Matias-Bouchard (Rep), Deanna Ng (Secretary)
1.Call to order: Jackie: 5:34pm.
2.Land Acknowledgment and PSAC Statement on Harassment: Jackie
4.Motion: For Adoption of Agenda: Debbie/Deanna Carried.
5.Motion: For Approval of Meeting Minutes of May 20th, 2020: Debbie/Jackie Carried.
6.Treasurer’s report (Debbie)
- Request for funds for PRIDE was sent. Alison from PSAC office is looking into it and we are waiting to hear from her.
- Debbie scanned 2019 financial reports and sent into PSAC office.
- No access to bank statements, along with the need to finalise our committee, and we depend on signature authority – still old signatures are listed. It may depend on getting another member during summer?
- Requests for expenses go through PSAC office such as if we are to collect funds or do a drive. – Signatures are needed.
- Assiniboine Credit Union moved
- Tina will write a letter for us to sign and get our signatures for the PSAC-HRC bank account.
- Debbie will call Assiniboine Credit Union where we do banking.
7.By-Election: HRC Chair
- Since last meeting, the Chair, Jennifer-Chieh Ho, has stepped down from the role.
- Jackie Nanali will remain as Vice-Chair and Acting Chair until the election of new Chair can be elected
- We will keep the Chair election as an agenda item until we find one.
- In the interim, Jackie is Acting Chair.
a.Indigenous Webinar Update
- We are waiting to hear back from Calgary what the next steps are.
- It is no longer a webinar. Instead Calgary HRC is doing a call out to go to members around June 25 as an update on Signs of Solidarity of Black and Indigenous people.
- Jackie will follow up and advise our committee once she hears back from Calgary.
b.Pride Parade Update
- This will be held Mid-September following a countdown on Pride’s website.
- Nathalie volunteered to be part of Pride.
- In the event without, Pride, we consider a back-up event, such as a fundraiser for a Pride related organization, discussion with a speaker from Rainbow Resource Centre or another organization.
- To keep Pride an Agenda item.
- Debbie will send an email and find updates with Gus, Area Council Chair.
- Debbie will follow up with Nathalie re work on PRIDE.
- Debbie will ask PRIDE what their plans are.
10.Next meeting date: TBA.
·Informal Exec meeting: Early August.
·Formal Committee meeting: End of August – to plan for PRIDE.
11.Adjournment: Debbie: 6:19pm