Winnipeg & Area HRC Mtg Minutes – Jan 28 2014

Attended: Melody Raabe, Jackie Nanali, Gus Mardli, Chris Little-Gagné, Gunars Butkans, Gloria Kelly, Dawn MacAulay, Christine McJannet, Darlene Mrcluve, Cheryl Dubree, Peter Barr, Lindsay Sparks (PSAC)


Winnipeg and Area Human Rights


Committee Meeting


PSAC Winnipeg Regional Office


Tuesday, Jan 28, 2014


5:20 pm – 6:45 pm


 


Attended:  Melody Raabe, Jackie Nanali, Gus Mardli, Chris Little-Gagné, Gunars Butkans, Gloria Kelly, Dawn MacAulay, Christine McJannet, Darlene Mrcluve, Cheryl Dubree, Peter Barr


Lindsay Sparks (PSAC)


 


Regrets:  Sonia Becenko, Natasha Mohammed, Vivianne Combiadakis, Taye Zegeye, Lorelei Topnik, Stephanie Primrose, Pat Boyer


1. Call Meeting to Order 5:20 pm 


2. Reading of the PSAC Statement on Harassment by Sister Nanali.


3. Addition(s) to agenda


* No additions to agenda.


4. Review and approval of previous meeting minutes


* Sister Raabe can not adopt Sept 10th meeting minutes, they were deferred. 


*  Sister Raabe moved to approve Nov 12th meeting minutes, Sister Nanali seconded.


5. Terms of Reference


* PSAC TECHNICAL ADVISOR


o Brother Sparks addresses “be available to attend”, he doesn’t have to attend every meeting.


o Sister Raabe suggested the intent is to maintain materials for events, etc. 


 


* AGENDA ITEMS


o Brother Butkans suggested to include, to contact interpreters ahead of time to accommodate.


o Brother Sparks mentioned once committee is elected to book the interpreters in advance.  He will follow up with interpreters before each meeting.


o Brother Butkans to be included in the follow up email to the interpreters.


o Sister Raabe to include duty for technical advisor to set and book dates for interpreters.


 


* FREQUENCY OF MEETINGS


o Sister Raabe to include as a new paragraph “Every effort will be made to make accommodations in advance for all human rights functions”.


o Sister Raabe to put in motion with additional change as interim TOR until we get PSAC TOR.


 


6. Vote for Human Rights Delegate to Prairie Region Convention June 2014


* Elections for one delegate and two alternates for June 29, 2014 PSAC Convention in Saskatoon.


* Brother Sparks to do first call for Convention.


* Brother Mardli nominated Brother Little-Gagne, Sister MacAulay seconded.


* Brother Sparks to ask for second call, third call, last call.


* Brother Little-Gagne let his name stand and he is selected as delegate for the PSAC Convention.


* Election for first alternate delegate, Sister Mrcluve nominated Sister MacAulay, Sister Raabe seconded.


* Brother Sparks to ask for second call, third call, last call.


* Sister MacAulay let her name stand and she is selected as first alternate delegate for the PSAC Convention.


* Election for second alternate delegate, Sister Raabe to nominate Brother Butkans, seconded Sister Mrcluve, Brother Butkans to respectfully decline.


* Brother Barr to nominate Sister Nanali for second alternate delegate, Sister Raabe to second, Sister Nanali to accept.


 


7. Blankets and Coffee Drive


* Didn’t have time to focus on this initiative for 2013. 


* Our idea is to extend and do for our community.


* No vote to adopt idea yet.


* Brother Little-Gagne suggested to collect money from Conventions for buying blankets and other supplies for the event.


* Brother Sparks mentioned that every year we can ask for money, raise money depending on what we want to do and how much we want to spend.


* Sister Raabe made motion for New Year, motion carried.


* Sister Kelly to ask what will we do now since we have money.


* Brother Little-Gagne agreed and said all food banks are out.  He suggested to begin program sooner.  Siloam, Lighthouse all identified the need for blankets, warm socks, gloves, baby formula, powder formula to donate.


 


8. Treasurer – Present and Adopt 2013-2014 Budget


* Current executive presents the budget.


* Sister Raabe to include current budget and expenses for next meeting.


 


9. Contact Locals to assign/adopt and to create a resolution for bylaws to have Human Rights Representative


* Sister Raabe requested if everyone with different by laws can provide them.


* The intent is is to have Human Rights Representative to be recognized in bylaws. 


* Brother Little-Gagne to put forth a resolution.  The goal is to have a National Human Rights Representative to attend and have that person be an active in the committee, events and community.


* Brother Little-Gange discussed with our component to enforce the Human Rights Representative and for the bylaws to reflect the component.


* Brother Mardli discussed resolutions through our committee and to add to the agenda.


* Any resolutions should be sent to Sister Kelly and she will put the package together for next meeting.


 


10.   Reminder


* Old business and new election.


* Brother Sparks suggested to consider watching “Simply the Best” video.


 


11.   Adjournment of meeting 6:45 pm, next meeting will be held February 18, 2014.


               1