Winnipeg Area Council Meeting Minutes
Wednesday June 17, 2020
Attendance: Gus Mardli, Nestor Galarnyk, Tracy Thor, Christine Dmyterko, Brett Rainboth, Joanne Bjorkland 50770, Susan Brown, Sheilagh Hanson, Faye Kingyens
Regrets: Yvonne Hein, Jamie Bonner, Frank Janz
- Call to order at 6:35pm
- Round of Introductions
- Agenda adoption move by Sr. Christine Dmyterko, seconded by Br. Nestor Galarnyk. None opposed
- PSAC Statement of harassment in effect, moved by Sr. Christine, seconded by Br. Brett Rainboth. None opposed
- Minutes moved by Br. Brett, seconded by Br. Nestor. None opposed
- Christine balance $1178.24 last, current balance $1122.35 per telephone conversation with Assiniboine Credit Union June 17th. Moved by Sr. Christine, seconded by Sr. Sheilagh Hanson. None opposed
- By-Election for Winnipeg Area Council Prairie Region Council Rep, chair to Sr. Tracy Thor
- Br. Nestor nominated by Sr. Christine, seconded by Br. Brett. Br. Nestor accepted.
- Alternate: Sr. Faye Kingyens nominated by Br. Gus Mardli, seconded by Sr. Sheilagh. Sr. Faye accepted.
8. Bargaining Update by Br. Nestor
- Letter writing campaign to TB head, drummed up some interest. There is a possibility to resume talks but logistics need to be figured out.
- Tracy recommends Locals confirm they have home emails for members incase there were to be a need for electronic voting
- Ratification votes have happened with Canada Post and Universities
9. New Business
a. Br. Nestor sent personal letter to President of Treasury Board
- Also, reached out and spoke to his Local MP
- Encourage all members to reach out to Prime Minister, TB President and Local MPs
- PSAC national & various component websites offer template
b. Budget 2020
- All items put on hold until Finance committee meets, usually meet in April but unable to
- Many events now postponed or cancelled due to COVID-19
- Virtual meetings are an option but possible “virtual meeting fatigue” setting in
- Possible to try and allocate funds for events as things begin to open
c. Community outreach
- NPSW BBQ was planned but unable to put together due to COVID-19
- Unable to work water station at Manitoba Marathon due to cancellation
- Labour day unknown
- Hoping to participate in Food drive, charity event or rally of some kind if safe to do so.
- Rally this Friday after work at Manitoba Legislature building for missing & murdered aboriginal women
- Try to give members masks & hand sanitize
10. Round Table
- Need sewing volunteers to make masks with Women’s Committee to be donated to Pointe Douglas Women’s Centre
- PSAC Prairie Regional Vice-President Sr. Marianne Hladun and UNE President Br. Kevin King sent a joint letter to Canadian Museum of Human Rights after appointment of new CEO. PSAC & Local to decide how to proceed further with further engagement
11. Next Meeting to be held September 1st, 2020
12. Adjournment at 7:58pm moved by Sr. Christine, seconded by Br. Brett. None opposed.