Winnipeg AC Mtg Minutes (Oct 19 2011)
Attendees: Gloria Kelly, UNDE; Gus Mardli, AGR; Cathy Moar, CEIU; Darlene McClure, AGR; Dawn MacAulay, AGR; Robert Couture-Wiens, USGE; Matt Tijani, AGR; Vimbai Dune, AGR; Tracy Thor, PSAC Staff
Minutes of General Meeting
Wednesday October 19, 2011
Gloria Kelly, UNDE
Gus Mardli, AGR
Cathy Moar, CEIU
Darlene McClure, AGR
Dawn MacAulay, AGR
Robert Couture-Wiens, USGE
Matt Tijani, AGR
Vimbai Dune, AGR
Tracy Thor, PSAC Staff
A G E N D A
1. Called to Order at 5:15
2. PSAC Statement on Harassment agreed upon
3. Adoption of Agenda with the addition of 3 items (Financial Report, last night’s speaker at the Human Rights committee meeting, and the 20121 Seasonal Celebration)
– moved by Dawn, seconded by Gus, approved
4. Adoption of Minutes – Thursday Sept 8, 2011
– moved by Darlene, seconded by Cathy, approved
5. Update – Oct 4 Provincial Election – Tracy
– mail out was approved by and paid for by the National Political Action Budget for approx $3,700
– mailed to 4,300 (about 1,000 short for all of Winnipeg)
– the printing and folding cost us $509 but was well worth the cost
– the telephone town hall was not as successful as hoped for it lasted about 35 minutes with approx 300 people at the peak time and about about 75 / 80 stayed for the whole time. GGloria says it kept clicking out on her (might be why more people didn’t stay the whole time) The cost of the town hall was about $6,500 paid for by the National Political Action budget.
6. Update – Discussion on previously submitted Resolutions to be submitted to the 2012 PSAC Triennial Convention
– Gus brought forward 2 more resolutions, discussion ensued, some changes were made to the wording and all were in favour of sending these on to Convention
– the other resolutions were also discussed briefly, accepted as is
– moved by Rob and seconded by Matt, all in favour to send all of the resolutions on to Convention
7. Financial Report presented by Darlene
– moved by Darlene to accept the Financial Report, seconded by Dawn, all in favour
8. Update – Social Justice Fund dental supplies for RWC toiletry packages
– regarding the care packages that we put together with the Women’s Committee at Christmas time, we had put aside $477 to buy 250 toothbrush sets through Tracy’s dentist, well, her dentist went to the supplier and the supplier donated 250 sets of toothbrushes, toothpaste and dental floss!!
– we will spend the $477 something else for the McGregor Street Community Care Site, maybe do a lunch
– we received $2,500 from the Social Justice Fund for the McGregor Street Community Care Site, to be used at our discretion
– we received $2,500 from the Social Justice Fund for The Friends Housing Coop to be used at our discretion
– the Wesman Area council also received $2,500 for a project of their choice
9. Delegate Election (1) for 2012 PSAC Triennial Convention
-Tracy advised that she had received a letter of intent from borther Steven Cabek from AGR was ill today and cannot attend but that he would let his name stand
– Rob had some questions, a general discussion ensued
– Tracy ran the election, calling 3 times for nominations
Gus was nominated by Gloria and seconded by Cathy
Matt was nominated by Gus and seconded by Rob
Gus was a clear winner.
Darlene moved to destroy the ballots, seconded by Rob.
10. Alternate Delegate Election (2) for 2012 PSAC Triennial Convention
– Tracy ran the election, calling 3 times for nominations for the first alternate
Matt was nominated by Vimbai and seconded by Gus
Rob was nominated by Darlene and seconded by Gloria
Matt declined to let his name stand. Rob is the first alternate.
– Tracy ran the election, calling 3 times for nominations for the second alternate
Darlene was nominated by Gloria and seconded by Dawn
Vimbai was nominated by Matt and seconded by Cathy
Vimbai declined to let her name stand. Darlene is the second alternate.
11. Darlene spoke about the speaker from last night’s Human Rights Committee meeting, a lady from Frontier . The intent of the organization is good, it has been around since the 1960’s and needs funds (as does any charitable organization). Gloria suggested having a package of information / presentation put together to submit to the Area Council and the Women’s Committee and then leave it up to them to distribute the information as they see fit. Dawn’s thought was that the organization would appreciate any monies forwarded to them but would also appreciate it if we spread the word about the organization.
12. Season Celebration – we are in charge of it this year.
– Robyn has suggested trying it as a meet and greet from 3:00to 6:00rather than as a meal, including information about the 3 committees to generate more interest in the committees
– Tracyto confirm with Robyn her ideas
– boardroom is tentatively booked for Wednesday, December 14th
13. Next Meeting – Wednesday, November 16th
14. Roundtable and Adjournment at 6:35 p.m.