Brandon District Labour Council Office 08 Oct 14 5:00PM
Meeting called by: Jennifer Grant Type of meeting: General Meeting
Note taker: Glen Johnston
Attendees: Jennifer Grant, Jeff Sexton,Trudy Taylor, Randy Walker,Mike Weisgerber, Glen Johnston
The meeting was called to order at 5:20PM by the President, Jennifer Grant
Readingof Previous Minutes
The minutes of the last meeting were unavailable.
- Brandonand District labour Council Notification
- United Way Xmas Tree Auction
No President’s Report as the President is new to the position and the outgoing President had not advised this was a standing item for the meetings.
The Treasurer reported a bank balance of $2,250.20.
Westman Area Council Resolutions to PSAC National Triennial Convention
- PRC Audited Statement: Amended/Concurrence
- Election of Second Alternate REVP: Concurrence
- Family Care Allowance – Restrictions: Non-Concurrence
- Child Care in Canada: Concurrence
- National Aboriginal Day as Statutory Holiday: Non-Concurrence
- Changes to Workplace Survey: Non-Concurrence
- Protective Reassignment: Concurrence
- Domestic Violence Awareness Education: Concurrence
- Expansion of We are All Affected Campaign: Non-Concurrence
- Constitutional Amendment: Concurrence
- Components Area Councils and Regional Committees: Concurrence
- Resolution Gen 28 from Convention: Non-Concurrence
Elections for delegate and Alternate to PSAC National Convention
- The President advised that Susan Norman had submitted an email asking that her name be allowed to stand for these elections.
- Jennifer Grant was nominated by Mike Weisgerber, seconded by Randy Walker
- As there were no other nominations Jennifer allowed her name to stand and was acclaimed as the Delegate.
- Susan Norman was nominated by Jennifer Grant, seconded by Jeff Sexton
- As there were no other nominations Susan was acclaimed as the 1st Delegate.
- Glen Johnston was nominated by Randy Walker, seconded by Jeff Sexton
- Jeff Sexton was nominated by Jennifer Grant, seconded by Mike Weisgerber
- Glen did not allow his name to stand
- As there were no other nominations Jeff allowed his name to stand and was acclaimed as the Delegate.
Banking and Bank Statements
- The President advised the Council that the Bank statements are now to be mailed directly to the Regional Office and a copy would be sent back to the Council. This was a decision made at the PRC and had no reflection on the Council as a whole.
- The President asked that all present canvas their Locals for members that may be interested in training
- A suggestion was made that the Talking Union Basics and Grievance Handling Courses be looked at first
- Council members should promote education in their workplaces, i.e. Lunch and Learns
- Cliff 2014: Festival-in-a-Box 2014 was discussed and a letter of what is offered was passed around and entered in the minutes. Cliff is a series of Labour films that are available to be viewed at your own location. Requests are to be made to http://labourfilms.ca/?page_id=2760
United Way Christmas Tree Auction
- The President advised that we had received the invite/application from the Brandon and District Branch of the United Way
- A discussion was had as to the viability of supporting the Auction as we have in the past and Council was unanimous in its support
- A motion was made: moved by Mike Weisgerber and seconded by Jeff Sexton: to spend $1500.00, which includes the registration fee of $125.00 and a meal for participants, on the Auction. The motion was carried.
- A second motion was made; moved by Mike Weisgerber and seconded by Jeff Sexton; to donate any monies, including donations from outside agencies, left after expenses to the United Way Christmas Tree Auction. The motion was carried.
Update from Prairie Region Council
- The Westman Area Council Rep to the PRC, Glen Johnston, provided a brief report to the Council on the Sept meeting of the PRC.
- Glen advised that there was not a lot to report on as this was the first meeting after the Prairie Region Convention and that Jennifer had already discussed the way ahead with the bank statements
- Discussions were held on the PRC Committees, of which Jennifer had joined the Education Committee and Glen had joined and was elected Chair of the By-laws Committee
- A discussion was also held on forming a Structure Committee to look at the membership of the PRC and possible downsizing.
Points from the Floor
- No points
Date of Next Meeting
- The President set the date for the 18th of November 2014. Location and time to follow as a member from the Brandon University had asked about holding the meeting at the University.
- A motion to adjourn was made at 8.10 PM.