Westman Area Council AGM: Meeting Minutes – March 11, 2019

Westman Area Council AGM

11 March 2019 @ 5 PM

BDLC Office

Attendees: Jeff Sexton (Chair), Glen Johnston, Mike Weisgerber, Jennifer Grant, Jen Chelkowski, John Huang, Susan Norman (APSAR), Tracy Thor (PSAC RO), Marianne Hladun (Prairies REVP)

Westman Area Council AGM

11 March 2019 @ 5 PM

BDLC Office

Attendees: Jeff Sexton (Chair), Glen Johnston, Mike Weisgerber, Jennifer Grant, Jen Chelkowski, John Huang, Susan Norman (APSAR), Tracy Thor (PSAC RO), Marianne Hladun (Prairies REVP)

Regrets: Martin Kaminski, Randy Walker

Call to Order:  Br Sexton called the meeting to order at 5:23pm.

Introductions for new members in attendance.

PSAC Harassment Coordinator:  Sr Norman appointed for the meeting.

Previous Minutes:

Adopted with amendments. M – Br Weisgerber, S – Br Johnston. Carried

Treasurer’s Report:

Current balance as of today is $1149.11. Br Johnston advised of a cheque from Oct 2018 for the Double Decker that is still outstanding.

M – Br Johnston, S – Br Weisgerber. Carried

Agenda:

Amendments made to order of agenda. Adopted with amendments. M – Br Weisgerber, S – Sr Chelkowski. Carried

Agenda Items:

   1. Bargaining updates

  • CRA heading into mediation April 2-4.
  • FB conducted a vote regarding seniority rights for members with previous military time.
  • Parks met Jan 30-31 to exchange bargaining demands.
  • TB groups applied for a PIC but were refused. Next mtg’s scheduled for

Mar 19-21.

  • Sr Hladun discussed upcoming demo in Ottawa, the upcoming election, need for activists to step up political action, Phoenix priority and will continue to be, wage freeze at Bargaining tables, the need to keep members informed, the need for more actions in the workplace, keeping PSAC in the managers view and the bargaining teams are doing everything they can to get the best for the members.
  • Sr Thor discussed the mobilization strategy meeting coming up. Need to get in touch with members, get all contact info, upcoming Day of Action is March 20. The RO will bring a Bargaining Team member out if requested. Looking at booking appointments with local MP’s and sending groups of members in the area. RO reps will be contacting all locals to coordinate.
  • Sr Hladun added that with the Bargaining teams heading back to the table Mar 18, a town hall would be the following week.

   2. PRC Update by Br Johnston. Advised that he had participated in a conference call. Lots of talk regarding political action. There has not been an in person meeting of the Council since the last Area Council meeting. The PRC Youth Rep has resigned and alternate, Glenn Hollyoake has been elected to the Council. Winnipeg Strike Anniversary May 24-26.

   3. Financial package presented by Br Johnston. Review of 2018 accounting and audit conducted. 2019 Budget presented and slight amendments made. Br Weisgerber noted that one of the budget submissions had a deadline of May 4th for registration. Sr Hladun advised to note the deadline with the package submission so the Finance Committee would review in time. Motion to adopt the 2018 Financial Statement and 2019 Budget by Br Johnston, S – Sr Grant. Carried.

Br Sexton relinquished the Chair to PSAC RO Rep Thor to conduct elections.

   4. Br Sexton nominated as President by Br Weisgerber, S – Br Huang. Acclaimed.

   5. Br Johnston nominated as Treasurer by Br Weisgerber, S – Br Sexton.

       Sr Grant nominated as Treasurer by Br Weisgerber, S – Br Sexton.

       Sr Grant accepted nomination, Br Johnston declined nomination. Sr Grant acclaimed.

       Sr Hladun swore in the newly elected officers.

       Br Sexton resumed position as Chair.

   6. Points from the floor

  • Phoenix rally.
  • Prairie School for Union Women applications due Apr 15.
  • Violence Prevention Course still has room for more participants. Course is scheduled for Mar 23-24.
  • 1919 Winnipeg Strike
  • Br Kirk Carr of the BDLC spoke to the upcoming Labour and Action Workshop to be held in Brandon on Mar 20. Still accepting applicants. Workshop will be free of charge and lunch will be provided. Sr Hladun confirmed PSAC would cover loss of salary to attend.
  • Br Weisgerber noted that should sponsorship be approved by May 4th, the Women’s Resource Centre event would need participants for a team.
  • Parade is planned for May 25 as well as many other weekend events to commemorate the Wpg Strike
  • Gala at the Convention Centre is May 15th and PSAC will have tickets available.
  • Signatories for the Westoba account – Sr Thor will forward PSAC letter.

Adjournment:

Meeting adjourned at 8:05pm.