Saskatoon Area Council Meeting Minutes (Aug 2012)
Saskatoon and District Area Council General Meeting August 21, 2012
Present: Terry Taylor, USGE; Karen Zoller, AGR; Carol Casey; Nicole Wurm, AGR; Rosemary Neufeld, AGR; Jackie Nettleton, AGR; Elena Beynon, AGR; and Louise Mardell, PSAC Regional Rep.
Regrets: Mike Brechts, CEIU, and Evelyn Jackson, UNDE.
Meeting started 5:25pm
1. Louise discussed the September 15th Day of Action:
• This is part of the “We Are All Affected” campaign.
• Messages from Marianne Hladun and Robyn Bensons were emailed out to the SFL and other affiliates to “save the day”.
• Will organize to have it be a family day, and reach out to our community partners.
• Have a $2000 budget for activities, and there are materials offered on-line.
• Louise is also organizing events with Prince Albert and Regina.
• Winnipeg event will include a banner with a message from labour groups for everyone to sign, and it will be sent to Ottawa. Robyn Benson will be guest speaker, and it will also be a family friendly event.
• Edmonton is having a family BBQ with kids activities, and a list of MPs and Labour heads to speak.
• Calgary is also having a BBQ in the park.
1. Saskatoon Day of Action:
• We will have a pancake breakfast on Saturday September 15th, 9-11:30am for members, affiliates, allies, and community groups.
• Rent a hall for the event in case of bad weather. Elena and Jackie to look into the Forestry Farm, Legion Hall, Masonic Temple, and any other location they can think of.
• There will be a donation requested of $2 for adults which will go towards the United Way (children free).
• Guest speakers will include affected individuals, hopefully Marianne Hladun, MPs, and a speaker from the United Way.
• We will get media coverage.
• We need volunteers from various locals to assist in the event.
• Louise to look into daycare help for kids, getting more Frisbees as give aways, and guest speakers.
• We will have “Stephen Harper Hates Me” buttons to hand out.
• Jackie will contact the United Way and the Raging Grannies.
• Elena will look into kid’s activities.
• Carol to look into getting a musician.
2. September 3rd Labour Day BBQ
• We will get two tanks of helium, and don’t need to buy any balloons as we have some “We Are All Affected” balloons. Louise will try to get more.
• We also have other supplies, including ribbon and table decorations.
• We have temporary tattoos to give out and various other give aways.
• Karen will be working at the BBQ.
• Terry will bring tables and chairs to the park.
• Terry, Louise, Jackie, Nicole and Elena will help at the table.
• Everyone to meet at the PSAC office at 10 am and will go to the park for set up at 10:30am.
Meeting ended at 6:45pm.