Regina HRC Mtg Minutes (Sept 29 2010)
Present: Bryan Thompson, Chair; Melissa Brandt, Treasurer; Satinder Bains, Prairie Region RV Rep; Connie Gress, Local 40064; Janette Husak, Local 40064; Alex George, Local 40005
South SK Human Rights Committee
September 29, 2010
Present: Bryan Thompson, Chair Melissa Brandt, Treasurer
Satinder Bains, Prairie Region RV Rep Connie Gress, Local 40064
Janette Husak, Local 40064 Alex George, Local 40005
Brother Bryan called the meeting to order at 5:45 p.m.
Previous Meeting Minutes:
Attendees reviewed the minutes of the May 2009, December 2009 and January 2010 meetings.
Motion to adopt the minutes as presented.
M/S Sister Janette/Brother Bryan Carried
Sister Melissa reported the closing bank balance as of August 31, 2010 is $4,284.09.
Motion to reimburse Sister Connie for dinner expenses in the amount of $14.16
M/S Brother Bryan/Sister Janette Carried
Motion to reimburse Brother Bryan mileage in the amount of 130 km at the current PSAC rate for representing the committee at the G-20 rally in July.
M/S Brother Satindar/Sister Janette Carried
Social Justice Projects:
Discussion related to sharing the cost of a wreath with the RWC and Area Council; everyone in consensus.
Unions of Regina Christmas Dinner
Sister Gress will request slots to be set aside for PSAC members so that all three committees are able to send participants. Once the date of the dinner is known and the call-out for volunteers made she will notify the chair.
Discussion took place around making a financial contribution; agreed to contribute $50.00 in support of the dinner.
Brainstorming Session – Future Projects
· Suggested to review the ideas contained in the January 2010 meeting minutes
· Sandra Ahenakew’s sister has been named the new Canadian ambassador to Vietnam; possibly extend speaking invitation
· Find a joint event to host in December; do in conjunction with the Area Council and RWC
· Brother Bryan will check with Dan Welsch to see if there are opportunities to partner with North Central Family Services
· Brother Alex will check with his brother who is affiliated with DRIP
· Souls Harbor has established a new youth centre in the former St. Andrews United Church; suggested the director Albert Rapley may have a project
Next meetings: October 20 and November 17
The meeting adjourned at 6:50 p.m.