Members of our union family,
My name is Chris Little-Gagné and I am your elected LGBTQ2+ Representative on the Prairie Region Council. Below is very important information that can be used to engage with our members and our communities.
May 17th is the International Day against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia. The 2019 campaign has yet to be announced, so continue to visit www.homophobie.org to get great information or print off posters. This site will help gain tools and activities on diversity and inclusion at your workplace. (Digital information should be available soon.) The past campaigns have been:
As we are currently entering the Pride season, below are the current events. Please let us know what PSAC committees and members are doing to show support. We would love to share photos of local pride events on the PSAC Prairies website. You can let Thomas Linner know at email@example.com
- Jasper Pride: April 25 to 28
- Edmonton Pride Festival: June 7 to 16
- Lethbridge Pride: Dates TBA
- Central Alberta Pride Week (Red Deer): August 10 to 18
- Calgary Pride: August 23 to September 2
- Medicine Hat Pride: Dates TBA
- Gay and Lesbian Association of the Peace (Grand Prairie): Dates TBA
- Fort McMurray LGBTQmunity: Dates TBA
- Moose Jaw Pride: Dates TBA
- Prince Albert Pride Week: Dates TBA
- Southwest Saskatchewan Pride (Swift Current): Dates TBA
- Saskatoon Pride: June 14 to 22
- Queen City Pride (Regina): June 7 to 16
- Brandon Pride: June 10- 16
- Pride Winnipeg: May 24 – June 2
- Pride North of 55 (Thompson): Dates TBA
- Steinbach Pride: July 20
- Winnipeg should also focus on Fierte Canada Pride for an activity in July 16 to 27, 2020.
I would like to remind everyone of the great PSAC campaigns (Child Care and Pharmacare). These campaigns do affect the LGBTQ2+ community as well and there could be some great tie-ins and support from the community if approached. Please contact me if you are looking at gaining more information about the Positive Space initiative and how you can bring diversity and inclusion for LGBTQ2+ members to your local/workplace.
I am working with Canadian Virtual Hospice. They are developing online palliative care and grief support tools to meet a variety of needs for LGBTQ2+ patients, partners, families, caregivers, and their care providers across Canada.
They are looking for people in these communities who have had personal experiences navigating the healthcare system when it comes to advanced illness, and who are willing to share their stories or add their voices to help others, through our award-winning online tools.
They are asking people to share their personal perspectives, experiences and insights as they develop these support tools.
If you are interested in being a part of this project or would simply like some more information, please feel free to get in touch with us at Canadian Virtual Hospice.
LGBTQ2+ Prairies Representative
Prairie Region Council