Lethbridge Regional Women’s Committee
Virtual meeting via Zoom – February 2, 2021 @ 6:00 pm MDT
Stephanie Erb (30048), Sherry Hunt (30048), Karen Mah (30048), Krysty Thomas (30048), Danielle Poissant (30907)
Guests: Kirsten Strachey (UTE 30024), Jennifer Chiehho (UNE 50136 and Assistant RVP UNE Manitoba region), Dolly Ablitt (PSAC, Calgary office)
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 pm
- Adoption of Agenda
- Agenda was adopted
- Review previous meetings minutes (November 3, 2020)
- minutes were accepted as presented
- S Erb to review balance reported in minutes
- Report from Dolly
- Wanted to ensure that we have received package related to reporting and bank statements were in order
- Calgary Women’s Centre event – Gender, Care Work and the Unequal Impacts of the Pandemic – https://www.womenscentrecalgary.org/event/gender-care-work-and-the-unequal-impacts-of-the-pandemic-on-women/ Perhaps can join and have a discussion among ourselves
- Financial report – S Erb
- Available balance February 2 $1661.48
- Some descriptions needed to be updated
- S Erb motioned to accept report, passed unanimously.
- Looked at the 2020 expenses – tabled for next meeting
- Old business:
- Coutts Food Bank Drive Update – K Slattery was able to purchase the $300 supplies and was appreciative of the support. Event will be included in the next budget.
- November/December recap –
- did the 16 days of action of violence against women, Teepee lighting – D Poissant wrote a letter that was published in the Medicine Hat paper.
- Dec 6 – some LRWC volunteers worked at the Lethbridge soup kitchen
- K Strachey enquired about number of entries – a few dozen were received
- Community care campaign – took pictures of postcards with positive messages in front of businesses, then delivered them to non-profit organizations. https://www.facebook.com/yqlcommunitycare
- New Business:
- 2020-21 Budget Allotment and Committee Project Status – committee is in good standing
- Prairies Regional Convention Updates – spot open, D Poissant nominated S Erb as delegate and K Thomas seconded
- Regional discussion
- will take on larger projects that Women committees in other regions can participate. Ideas – talk to high school teen boys to talk about violence, find resources available in your community and put together a list. S Hunt shared a spreadsheet and resource list for southern Alberta (south of Calgary). The services are there but the challenge is promoting it to the women. Advocating about a federal act regarding violence against women. How do you bring the issues to PSAC members?
- D Ablitt – Nationally, there is a domestic violence workshop being produced
- 2021-22 Budget and Project Discussion
- K Thomas – sending valentines to MLAs on Feb 13 political action. K Thomas motioned to provide $100 in craft supplies, D Poissant seconded.
- Roses of Hope – female owned business fund-raiser for Safe Haven in Taber. Give $480 to buy roses ($6 each) to YWCA staff and residents. K Thomas motioned and S Erb seconded. Passed. S Hunt will draw up a proposal.
- Supporting women owned businesses. S Hunt wrote a letter to the editor
- Putting a collection of products from women owned businesses
- First responder to sexual abuse training – gained some interest
- Write a valentine to your MLA that you like about Alberta that you want to save
- Webinar of people who work in the field to give a view of what a day in the life looks like
- Discussed actions in 2020 that would like to repeat in 2021
- Round Table
- D Poissant will try to recruit some new female members to the committee
- Will be last meeting for K Mah as she will no longer be a union member in good standing (going on assignment on Feb 8 in a position with another union)
- Next Meeting: AGM March 3, 2021 at 6pm.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:41 pm MST.