Lethbridge Regional Women’s Committee: AGM Meeting Minutes – June 24th, 2019
Lethbridge Regional Women’s Committee:
AGM Meeting Minutes – June 24th, 2019
Lethbridge Regional Women’s Committee
Jun 24, 2019 @ 5:30pm
Annual General Meeting Minutes
Stephanie Erb (30048), Karen Mah (30048), Rajani Pradhan (30048), Sherry Hunt (30048), Kristy Slattery (30036), Dorothy McRae (Agriculture RVP)
By phone: Danielle Possiant (30907), Krysty Thomas (30048), Deb Kosteniuk (Regional women’s rep)
K Slattery called meeting to order at 5:43 pm and discussed the agenda.
- Election of officers
- Krysty Thomas requested that elections be moved forward due to previous commitments
- Introductions were made and the election was run by D Kosteniuk at 5:52 pm
- K Mah asked for confirmation of 1 vote per component and a question was raised if this applied to nominations. D Kosteniuk confirmed one vote and one nomination per component. S Erb was elected to make the vote for 30048 (based on consensus)
- Treasurer (nominated by K Slattery and D Poissant) S Erb acclaimed and accepted
- Secretary (nominated by S Erb, K Slattery) K Mah acclaimed and accepted
- Vice-chair (nominated by S Erb, K Slattery) S Hunt acclaimed and accepted.
- Chair (nominated by D Possiant, S Erb) K Slattery acclaimed and accepted.
- Adoption of Agenda
- Approved by consensus
- Approved by consensus
- Review and approval of the previous meeting’s minutes
- Previously approved via email. S Erb confirmed with D Kosteniuk that the financial report from the March 2018 meeting did not need to be attached.
- K Slattery indicated that LRWC’s annual report was sent to D Kosteniuk and that all the requests were granted. The only issue was that meeting notices needed to be sent out/posted two weeks prior.
- Financial Report – S Erb provided print copies:
- Bank balance was $2854.85 as of Jun 24, 2019
- Treasurers report was accepted by consensus (S Erb nominated and K Slattery seconded).
- Upcoming Events
- Fair Start (July 7, 1-4pm, held by AFL)
- Labour Day Picnic
- Pride day for Medicine Hat (in September?)
- Women’s regional conference in Regina: D Kosteniuk indicated that resolutions needed to be submitted in August
- How is selection of delegates determined? The Chair would normally go; whoever goes would have to be on the steering committee and write resolutions. Currently there is no training requirement for attending. K Slattery had prior commitments; it was decided that S Hunt would be going. If someone else wants to go, they should apply (the conference is fully funded by PSAC e.g. no costs to Women’s committee’s)
- Building women’s power conference is in Regina
- LRWC is interested in submitting a resolution – deadline likely early or mid-August
- D Kosteniuk – National Women’s Conference in April 2020. Every region can send 5 resolutions to national
- Resolution meeting for Jul 16, 7:30 pm at S Erb’s house. K Slattery will send details.
- Oct 1 next meeting, after the next District Area council meeting (around 7:15 pm)
- D Kosteniuk discussion on Women’s committee
- PSAC priorities are on a 3-year cycle
- Working together, engaging members in political action. Components need to be working with PSAC. There has been a lot of infighting and we need to stand together. Have conversations with members to discuss why unions matter.
- Political action – can take many forms. Can be working on behalf of a candidate or holding rallies in front of the legislature. Don’t take on an action by yourself if you’re not comfortable
- Child care a priority, is expensive and risky if not delivered by qualified person. D Kosteniuk is working on same day of action, and building a database of supporters.
- MMIWG activities can be held whenever you like. Sisters in Spirit is a good time, or Womens International Day
- Round Table
- S Erb – at the meeting in July, will tackle some line items in the budget
- K Slattery motioned to reimburse S Erb for food, D Possiant seconded (approximately $45)
- Meeting adjourned at 6:42 pm