Lethbridge AC (Sept. 2011)
Minutes (September 20, 2012)Minutes – Lethbridge and District Area Council
September 20, 2011
Greg Krokosh, President;
Lorna Selinger, Vice-President;
David Pearson, Secretary/Treasurer,
Raj Hari, PSAC Regional Rep,
Called to order: 1930 hours
- Agenda was adopted as presented
- Motion to adopt. Move/Seconded: Sister Carol Prummel/Sister Christine Krokosh
- Minutes of the March 4, 2011meeting was read and adopted with corrections
- Motion to adopt with corrections. Move/Seconded: Sister Lorna Selinger/Sister Carol Prummel
- Adopted with corrections
- Area Council Treasurer reported as adopted
- As for September 20, 2011, the bank balance: $3,799.19
- Motion to Adopt. Move/Seconded: Sister Barb Giesbrecht/Sister Sherry Hunt
- Brother Hari spoke on the Canadian Federation Independent Business (CFIB) Campaign which is part of the PSAC defending quality public service. It is a post card campaign which members of the CFIB are to approach and ask to send a post card to Catherine Swift via PSAC their support of public sector workers. With it they are encouraged to place a sticker “I support public service workers” in their window. This is to counter the mis-information of public services and the public service workers which Ms. Swift is disseminating and the blame of Unionof doing everything wrong.
- Had a discussion of CFIB and Catherine Swift and of the campaign.
- Support for our Striking members at McGill
- Brother Hari spoke on the strike of the McGill University Non-Academic Certified Association (MUNACA) and the memorandum sent by Brother John Gordon.
- Had a discussion of the memorandum and our brothers and sister at McGill.
- Motion to donate $100 towards MUNACA strike with a letter showing our support was Moved/Seconded: Brother Greg Krokosh/Sister Lorna Selinger
- TC Bargaining
- Brother Hari spoke on the TC bargaining support and mobilization. The team has developed a wrist band and a bookmark for TC members should wear and use to show their support. It was noted that Parks have their own campaign, i.e. Post cards
- There was discussion on mobilization and the swag for it.
- Leadership meeting on October 12, 2011
- It is expected that the executive will attend this meeting and the agenda will be developed by the local Prairie Region Representatives.
- There was a concern that a course that was going to be held in Lethbridgewas cancelled to soon.
- It was suggested that the R.O. phone/inform locals the need for more Participants to ensure that the course will be held.
- There was a discussion on the JLP and that it should be used.
- Brother Krokosh spoke on that the Public Service Modernization Act (PSMA) is coming up for its five year review and the PSAC has a report out that states that staffing sucks
- PSAC Tomato Project
- Sister Selinger reported on the project by stating that the final report will be ready for next meeting
- Brother Pearson mentioned that in the last meeting the tomato project estimated cost would be $300.00 but because of the successful germination of the seed, there were additional plants planted and the cost was $463.52 and the $300 dollar check was not issued. Brother Pearson mentioned that he would like to be reimbursed for the monies for the project
- Motion to reimburse Brother Pearson for $463.52for the Tomato project was Move/Seconded : Brother Greg Krokosh/Sister Lorna Selinger
- Sister Sherry Hunt spoke on the Tools for Schools program.
- It was started late for other locals to get involved but at the Agriculture Local managed to raise $1,400 in cash and school supplies
- It was recommended that a committee be created to make the program bigger and better.
- Sister Hunt mentioned that she sits on the
AFLWoman Committee and spoke about the committee and their plans.
- December 4, 2011the Committee is having fund raiser brunch with the theme “History of Woman in Labour” in Edmonton.
- Spoke about woman in high risk.
- Brother Hari spoke about the Steward Network and the need to promote it
- Encourage stewards to subscribe to steward e-news
- There are lots of locals in Southern Albertathat are not on the network,
- Brother Krokosh spoke about
AFL100 year anniversary and the Lethbridgeand District Labour Council’s plans for it.
- They are setting up a committee to organize activities around the anniversary and the unions in Lethbridgecreated the
- The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 pm
- Next meeting October 19, 2011. Note it is the