Leaders Meeting (Mar. 14, 2009)
Prairie Region Leaders Meeting Saturday
The Fairmont Hotel, Winnipeg MB
March 14, 2009 9:00 am to 4: 00 pm
Robyn Benson, Rahil Ahmad, Elaine Alt, Satinder Bains, Sam Barlin, Alisha Bigelow, Dale Buck, Danial Curotte, Karen Dion, Ken Friesen, Donna Gagnon, Tanya Galenzoski, Alex George, Keith Gillard, Crystal Harvey, Timothy Hunt, Nancy Johnson, Glen Johnston, Chad Kemery, Nina Kiviluoma, Brea Lewis, Frank Lloyd, Jeff Lovegrove, Pat Mason, Heike McRae, Jeanette MeunierMcKay, Susan Norman, Steve PellerinFowlie, Gerry Pendulak, Don Rogers, Matt Tijani, Mary Veilleux, Gerald Wiegers, Blair Winger, Clint Wirth, Maggie Armstrong, Deanna Kimball
Sr. Benson called the meeting to order at 9:00 and welcomed all participants. She thanked them for coming and said that it is important that we get together to discuss the resolutions from the Prairie Region that were sent to PSAC convention. She also referred to the following items in her opening remarks:
- Encouraged the leadership to review The Activists’ Conference report. Regional Committees and Area Councils will be having planning meetings for review of their Action Plans.
- Separate Employers/Private Sector Conference, held in the fall of 2008; this was the first conference held of its kind within the PSAC. The conference gave Private Sector members a chance to network.
- Acknowledged the phenomenal work done by members and leaders in the Prairie surrounding the C10 campaign. Although our members sent thousands of postcards, developed videos, held rallies and sent emails, the bill passed. Sr. Benson shared with the Leaders about the press conference held outside the United Nations on the lack of the support that women in Canada have.
- Membership renewal should be one of the main focuses of the Region.
Prairie Region Council Committee Reports:
- PRC Area Council/Political Action Committee Br. Wiegers introduced the other members of the committee who are the PRC Area Council reps and gave an update of the actions and plans of the committee.
- PRC Education Committee Sr. Johnson, introduced the other members of the committee and gave an update on the PSAC Prairies Union School and encouraged applications be sent into the Regional Offices.
- PRC Communications Committee Br. Glen Johnston gave an overview of plans and actions of the PRC to improve communications across the Prairie Region. Sr. Hladun sits on this committee as well.
- PRC Health & Safety Sr. Heike McRae, Br. Rahil Ahmad and Br. Clint Wirth, gave an update on the planning for the 2009 Prairie Region Health & Safety Conference to be held in Regina at the Regina Inn.
- PRC Human Rights, RWC and Youth Committee Br. Timothy Hunt, PRC GLBT rep, introduced the members of the committee and gave an update on the following: · Development of new Human Rights Committees in the region; · Renewal of HRC in areas where these committees were once active; · Reminder about PSAC Conference for the 2010 – 2012 cycle; · Canadian Museum for Human Rights – Labour wing.
- Sr. Galenzoski, PRC RWC rep, gave an update on the plans and actions of Regional Women’s Committees across the Prairies.
- Br. Chad Kemery, PRC Youth rep, advised the Leaders that he is establishing a Youth Network for the Region. A request will be sent asking for a Youth contact from every Local in the Prairie Region. Br. Kemery challenged the Leaders to encourage their members to seek out the Youth in their Locals.
PSAC National Convention Resolutions:
All Convention Committee reports and Resolutions can be found on the PSAC Convention webpage after March 31, 2009.
Sr. Benson gave an overview of the resolutions from the Prairies sent to the Constitution Convention Committee and discussion was held on priorities.
Sr. Benson gave an overview of the resolutions from the Prairies sent to the General Resolutions Convention Committee and discussion was held on the priorities.
Br. Steve PellerinFowlie gave an overview of the resolutions from the Prairies sent to the Collective Bargaining Resolutions Convention Committee and discussion was held on its priorities.
Sr. Benson gave an overview of the resolutions from the Prairies sent to the Finance Convention Committee and reviewed the proposed budget for the 2010 – 2012 cycle.
Sr. Benson thanked the speakers and everyone that attended for the respectful and informative discussion. Meeting adjourned at 4:00 pm.