The Regional Women’s Committee is a focal point for mobilizing women members. The RWC informs, educates and empowers women within their union and their community. Check out these minutes for current activities and actions.
Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC)
Edmonton Regional Women’s Committee
June, 9, 2020 PSAC Edmonton RO
Kim Cardinal, Chair
Patty Jessome, Vice Chair
Corie McGaughey, Secretary
Carm Chan, PSAC Representative
Denise Gugel, Treasurer
- Welcome to all / Call to Order / Harassment Statement: Kim Cardinal called the meeting to order at 5:37 pm and welcomed everyone back after an unforeseeable extended break due to the Covid19 pandemic. Spoke to some of the barriers that we faced while trying to stay safe and get back to work. Kim asked the attendees do a round table of introductions.
- This Agenda – Adoption: Kim advised she did not get a chance to prepare an official agenda for the meeting.
- Posting of March 3, 2020 Meeting Minutes: March meeting minutes have not been completed as of yet. The meeting notes were misplaced, will work on getting them completed as soon as possible.
- Treasurer’s report: Presented by Kim.
Balance leftover from last year: $1475.25
- 2020 Conventions: Kim advised all PSAC events have been postponed until 2021, including the Regional Conventions and the National Women’s Convention. As shared by Marianne during a PRC meeting, all resolutions that were approved before the original deadline will sustain, however, there might be an opportunity for new submissions as well. Patty asked if the original delegates will stand. Kim concurred, as long as individuals circumstances have not changed. Said on that note, Our elected PRC Rep, Deb Kosteniuk has retired. Sheila Hanson is her successor.
- Committee Handbooks: Kim advised the committee handbooks have been updated and all the forms are now fillable.
- Old Business:
- 2020 Committee and Budget Plan – Corie recommended we revisit the original plan for 2020 to assess as which projects we can still move forward with as opposed to reinventing the wheel entirely. Recommended take a look at what projects don’t present any foreseeable barriers in light of Covid-19. Perhaps some require modifications to suit the current circumstances with social distancing barriers etc. Should also check with PSAC as well to see if their priorities have changed and calibrate plans accordingly. Kim concurred that the Visual Artistic Journal (VAJ) event could be adapted to a web conference. Patty said that fundraising is a viable option in light of the current circumstances. Recommended we follow-up with Sucker Creek Emergency Women’s Shelter to see what their needs are, as they were one of the causes we had agreed to take on for the fiscal.
- New Business:
- Kids On Track (KOT) – Kim advised KOT is asking for donations. Said they need approximately $200.00 or more to meet program. Asked the group if we wanted to donate. Said they are an organization that helps send kids from low income families to summer camp. Kim offered to send this committee a PDF package that provides more details about the organization. Deb expressed she wanted to know more about why we would partner with them. Patty concurred Deb’s thinking and said she would like to conduct some additional research before we decide. Carm advised that we may want to connect with Oneil if this is something we are considering as he is more familiar with the organization. However, said we may want to consider a more hands on approach vs financial, per her discussions with Marianne. Kim concurred with the group that we will need to look in to it further before a decision is reached.
- Women’s Shelters – Deb advised the RWC of Manitoba was making masks for women’s shelters. Could be something we consider. Patty advised we could reach out to women’s shelters and ask what they need. Said we need to be careful in regards to the risks of volunteering in person. Committee concurred. A number of members expressed they really liked that idea. Patty said she has a contact who liaises with all of the Women’s shelters of Alberta. Said she will consult with her and get back to us.
- Black Lives Matter (BLM) – Deb wanted to talk about the BLM rally that was held on May 29. Thanked Corie for encaging members to attend. Said it was important we stay in the loop and support movement. Carm shared that she attended and it was phenomenal. Said that everyone was taking precautions, spreading out and wearing protective gear.
- National Indigenous Peoples Day (NIPD) – Deb reminded the group that NIPD was around the corner (June 21, 2020). Said she will share an email with the group with respect to how folks can participant safely as we are still in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Shoe Drive – Patty has a contact with the McCauley Health Centre, who reached out to her during the pandemic to request assistance with collecting gently worn shoes for their clients in need. Said she was very successful in collecting shoes for them just by reaching out to her personal network. Said it is a really meaningful cause as they support men and women who struggle everyday due to unfortunate situations. Recommended we could do a shoe drive and reach out to the locals for donations. Group concurred. Carm said she will send some info on Unionware as it could be of use. Patty volunteered to create a poster that could be fanned out electronically to promote the drive and how to donate.
- Round Table:
- Deb – Thanked everyone. Had to leave early.
- Marium – Thanked everyone. Had to leave early.
- Carm – Sent out Unionware information. Said if we need anything, to let her know.
- Corie – Hope everyone is well and staying safe.
- Patty – Said meeting went great – very productive. Said she is really enjoying an amazing series on Apple TV called The Morning Show. Said it presents an interesting lens on sexual harassment in the workplace and how women engage. Encouraged the group to check it out.
- Kim – Said she appreciates Patty’s connections. Also great to see new participants.
- Next meeting date, time and location: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 5:30PM via web conference.
- Kim adjourned the meeting at 6:42 p.m.