The Regional Women’s Committee is a focal point for mobilizing women members. The RWC informs, educates and empowers women within their union and their community. Check out these minutes for current activities and actions.
Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC)
Edmonton Regional Women’s Committee
Theme: “BUILDING OUR VOICES TOGETHER”
April 24, 2019
PSAC Edmonton RO
Kim Cardinal, Chair
Charmaine Nelson, Co-Chair
Denise Gugel, Treasurer
Patty Jessome, Secretary
Katheleen Alexander, Member
Elizabeth Bagnel, Member
Leanne Ordish, Member
Tracy Bear, Professor at U of A, by phone
Anne Juneau, Regional Rep
- Welcome to all / Call to Order / Harassment Statement – Kim Cardinal called the meeting to order at 5:43 pm. Welcome to new members / introductions. Patty Jessome read the Harassment Statement.
- This Agenda – Adoption: Agenda approved by consensus.
- Posting of March 28 Meeting Minutes – Will confirm with Nina, as the minutes were not posted at this time.
- Treasurer’s report: Presented by Treasurer Denise Gugel.
Opening balance: $809.13
Cheque #51: $53.40 for food expenses to Kim Cardinal
Cheque from Human Rights Committee (deposit): $139.80
- Events / projects 5.1 Childcare Campaign: Deb Kosteniuk, Regional Women’s rep (Prairies), is waiting to hear back from National about actions planned with respect to childcare so the Prairie’s can coordinate actions for the No More Fairytales Campaign.
5.2 Empowerment of women and the Visual Artistic Journal: Tracy spoke about the theme of the first workshop. She spoke of the indigenous beliefs around body image and how women’s bodies have been policed. The journal will help define who we are and what we want from our bodies. Tracy will receive a $100 honorarium. Anne will meet with Tracy to discuss the union part of the workshop. The guest artist we planned on having is not available, so we will look at having someone at our next workshop. Heather Poitras will open and close the event and will receive a $100 honorarium.
5.3 Update in volunteering / partnering with Terra: Kim spoke with Donna Ma, Manager Fund Development & Donor Stewardship for Terra Centre for Teen Parents, who is interested in having the committee do some volunteer gardening at Brentwood House. We are looking at weekdays and weekend schedules. Terra also sent Kim an invite to attend their 15th Annual Promising Futures Fundraising Breakfast (7:30 to 8:30am), which helps young parents reach their full potential. The event is on June 10th and is by donation. The committee agreed to give a $150 donation to the fundraiser and those who can, will attend the breakfast.
5.4 Update in volunteering / partnering with YWCA: Committee members will volunteer for the Walk a Mile in Her Shoes campaign. Kim provided information on the various volunteer activities and has asked each of the committee members to respond with our top two favourite choices.
5.5 Review recruitment brochure: Patty is to send the recruitment brochure to committee members with a deadline to respond so Kim can contact the printer regarding prices.
- Cheque to Kindred House: Charmaine was able to get another cheque for Kindred House. She will mail out the cheque to Boyle McCauley once Patty sends her the address.
- Anne: She shared a current campaign the PSAC is doing for the bargaining process. PSAC is addressing the open letter that Justin Trudeau wrote to public service employees when he was elected in 2015. This letter is now being distributed to union members stamped with “Return to Sender.” These will be delivered to MP’s personally.
Charmaine: Glad our group is expanding and I hope to see more people coming to our meetings.
Anne: Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being here. It has been a pleasure working with you. Love your ideas and helping in the community. I’ll be in Yellowknife soon so please come visit me.
Elizabeth: I’m from PEI and they just had their elections. The Conservative and the Green Party are now both minority governments and the Green Party is the official opposition.
Leanne: Thank you for allowing me to come. This is new to me. Working with Military I work in a male dominated environment so it’s great to sit down with women and have good conversation.
Kim: I believe in this committee with all my heart. I am hoping that the upcoming event on May 4th, will bring more people together. Keep talking about the committee and talking about how great it is.
8. Next meeting date: May 22, 2019
9. Meeting adjourned: Kim adjourned the meeting at 7:30
|Who (name)||What||When (item #)|
|Committee members||Look at packages for the YWCA volunteer||ASAP 5.4|
|Patty||Send brochure to everyone with deadline||ASAP 5.5|
|Kim||Book appt for signing authority||ASAP|
|Patty||Send Charmaine address to MCCAULEY||ASAP 6|
|Charmaine||Mail cheque to MCCAULEY||ASAP 6|
|Patty||Confirm with Nina when minutes posted||ASAP|