The Human Rights Committee discuss issues and plan events relating to PSAC’s Indigenous, Persons With Disabilities, LGBTQ2+ and Racially Visible caucus members. Check out these minutes for current actions and events!
Edmonton Human Rights Committee Meeting
27 April 2021 @1745
STEVE SUKHBIR CHAIR (Local 30905)
MILDRED NCUBE CO CHAIR (Local 30851)
CHARMAINE NELSON TREASURER (Local 30851)
DENISE GUGEL SECRETARY (Local 30016)
CARM CHAN PSAC REP
YUN GHIMN SSO (Local 30070)
KIM CARDINAL USJE (Local 30168)
Guests: (Via Telecon)
1. Call to Order:
- The Meeting was called to orderat 1755 VIA SKYPE by the Chair Steve Sukhbir
2. Approval of the Agenda: Agenda was unanimously agreed to by all present
3. Review and approval of the previous meeting’s agenda:
- The last minutes dated 15Feb2021 to be approved
- Moved: Kim Cardinal
- 2nd by: Denise Gugel
- Financial reports to stand as presented as per bank statement of 13 March 2021.
- BALANCE: 2178.26.
- THERE HAS BEEN NO ACTIVITY SO THEREFORE NO CHANGE.
5. Previous business: NIL
6. New business:
- Steve – PRC Discussion
- PRC – Steve will run again as Pride rep. Nomination Certified.
- Dragana Ristivojevic – Rep for Edmonton North. Unable to confirm to run again.
- Willing to support any Delegate wanting to run for a position. Delegates in need of support to contact Steve.
- PRC Calgary – HRC Committee is looking for support to join them in rebuilding endeavors.
- National Pride Committee – currently on National committee until further notice. Committee will continue on current/existing projects from the past two years and will continue till next election.
- Regional Pride Flags – will be sent to the Regional Office. Edmonton Pride will be cancelled due to COVID. Requesting personal stories that can be shared and published. Send to Steve.
- Membership Increase Campaign: Looking for any ideas to increase support to HRC. Participation idea is to send invitations to all locals requesting a regional member via virtual. Addie’s poster’s may be used as part of the invitation.
- No access to Regional Office due to COVID.
- Request – input into the July agenda to be forward to Steve. Upon request Carm is able to set up either Zoom, Teams or Skype platforms.
8: Round Robin:
- Kim – NIL
- Denise – NIL
- Yun – Language concerns: concern that Census has not been translated yet to immigrant and indigenous languages as was in 2016
- Charmaine – Request meeting to start at 6:00 PM and is waiting for banking signing authority.
- Mildred – PRC conference and request support/nomination for Racial Visible position. Prairie school for women has opening for upcoming scholarship. Deadline is May 17, 2021. Same time as PRC.
- Steve – Neha Channan – PRC – Racial Visible Rep is undecided at this point to run again.
9: Next meeting date, time, and location:
- The next meeting July 27, 2021 – 6:00 PM – via Zoom
10: Agenda for next meeting:
- Provide any new agenda items to Steve (TBA)
11: OTHER – NIL
- The meeting was adjourned at 6:18 PM.