Edmonton Human Rights Committee Meeting Minutes (June 16, 2020)

The Human Rights Committee discuss issues and plan events relating to PSAC’s Indigenous, Persons With Disabilities, LGBTQ2+ and Racially Visible caucus members. Check out these minutes for current actions and events!

Edmonton Human Rights Committee Minutes
16 JUN 2020 @ 1748

In attendance:

STEVE SUKHBIR, CHAIR
ADDIE GREER, TREASURER
MILDRED NCUBE, CO CHAIR
MARIAM SAKKA, UNE 30070
YUN GHIMN, UNE 30070

Regrets:

DENISE GUGEL, MEMBER
CAROL MORRISON, MEMBER
DRAGANA RISTIVOJEVICH, SECRETARY

Staff:

CARM CHAN, PSAC REP

1.Call to Order

  • The Meeting held via Skype started at 1748 by Steve Sukhbir (Chair)

2. Approval of the Agenda:

  • Agenda was approved by all

3. Review and approval of the previous meeting’s agenda

  •  The last minutes dated April 20, 2020 was approved unanimously

4. Reports:

  • Financial reports to stand as presented as per bank statement due to Covid 19 and as presented by the Treasurer Addie Greer. There were no changes and signing authority is still outstanding due to Covid.

5. Previous business:

  • Due to COVID-19, the 2020/2021 budget is still pending approval by the PRC e.  The budget package still has to be audited by another committee and to be approved by Neha Channan when complete. Denise Gugel has the info to forward to the respective parties but currently busy with Return to work and Personal matters.

6. New business:

  • Pride was cancelled due to Covid-19
  • Human Rights Poster update was presented and the design approved to move forward once budget approved
  • Covid-19 and social distancing and how we can move forward was discussed
  •  Facebook page changes with questions were discussed
  • Return to work updates as follows:

7. Actions:

8. Round Robin:

  • Steve had to miss the PRC update teleconference due to hosting this meeting and regrets were sent.
  • Mildred is still participating in the community gardens.
  • Addie will continue on with the Poster Project
  • Yun would like us to give more notice on meetings and has been added to the email list along with Mariam.
  • Mariam would like us to address systemic racism

9. Next meeting date, time and location:

  • The next meeting will be set for Mid-September 2020 @1745 once schedules are known and everyone is back from summer leave
  • If the PSAC Regional Office is open an in-person meeting will be held and if not we will continue with skype

10.  Agenda for next meeting:

  • Racism in the workplace

11. OTHER

  • PSAC fall education program on hold due to Covid19
  • Indigenous People Day online celebrations to be posted by Addie Greer on the Facebook Page

12.  Adjournment

  • The meeting was adjourned at 07:20 pm