Area Council Committees engage with PSAC campaigns, lobby politicians and raise awareness of issues affecting our members, workers and the Canadian Public. Check out these minutes for current actions and events.
Darlene Lewis Chair
Arlene Suzuki Local 30026
Dragana Ristivojevic Secretary/PRC Edmonton Area Council Rep
Oneil Carlier PSAC Rep
Sabino Spagnudo Vice Chair
Corie McGaughey Member at Large
Lasia Horbul Local 30026
Minute Taker: Dragana Ristivojevich
1 Call to Order: The Committee did not have quorum to hold a Planning Meeting.
2 Public Service Week: Oneil is looking for a volunteer to help with organizing events during Public Service held on June 14, 2021 to June 18, 2021. Some activities would involve rap, poetry, a skit, drums with an Indigenous group, etc. Oneil stated that a pre-recording for this event would work better than a live performance. Darlene put her name forward. However, Darlene would step down if someone from our committee would express an interest in filling this position. Calgary does not have an Area Council Committee.
3 Planning of Possible Events:
- Food Drive – volunteering;
- Supporting our Province against the UCP government;
- How to support the boilermaker’s;
- Federal Election and how to engage our members;
- Communicate with Marianne on what she feels are priorities with Political Action;
- Parade – To hold a vehicle drive-by parade with PSAC’s banners and waving our flags which could involve our collective agreement as we have 400 members who live in the downtown core;
- Darlene to connect with Kristy Thomas; and
- To recruit more members to be involved with the Edmonton Area Council committee.
These are some possible ideas but more discussion to be at our next meeting.
4 Election: The position of Treasurer still remains vacant. We will canvas our members to entice more members to join our committee and to fill the Treasurer’s position.
5 Meeting Adjourned: Meeting adjourned at 6:15 pm.