Edmonton AC Mtg Minutes (May 11 2011)

Present: Dave Burchell, EAC Chair; Rick Parenteau, EAC Treasurer; Ben Lemon, UEW 30703; Carm Chan, PSAC Reg. Rep.


Minutes from the May 11, 2011 Edmonton Area Council meeting



Edmonton Area Council


May 11, 2011


 


Present:


Dave Burchell, EAC Chair


Rick Parenteau, EAC Treasurer


Ben Lemon, UEW 30703


Carm Chan, PSAC Reg. Rep.


Regrets:


Elaine Alt, NHU 30016


Nina Kiviluoma, PRC Area Council Rep


Meeting called to order at 5:40 p.m.


4.1   Approval of previous minutes           Rick/Ben carried


4.2   Adoption of agenda                          Rick/Ben carried


4.3   Capital Ex Parade update:


Elaine Alt submitted an estimate from Novel Notion Advertising Inc. (union made product & services) for $205.00 each. Dave obtained an estimate from a company for $201.60 each.  Members agreed to purchase 5 banners from Novel Notion Advertising Inc. to support union made merchandise. Carm gave the committee the draft fan that Jeffrey Vallis had developed. Dave is going to contact Jeffrey regarding a couple of changes.


4.4   Habitat for Humanity:


Committee agreed this is a project they wanted to be involved in. The next step is to do a call out for volunteers. Dave will send out an e-mail to the Locals asking for volunteers. Each volunteer will be required to submit $165.00. There will also be a phone call to all Locals as a follow-up to the e-mail. The caller will offer for a representative of the Area Council to speak at general meetings to reinforce the need for volunteers; talk about doing fund raising for the $165.00 fee. Example of fund raising could be BBQ day selling hot dogs/hamburgers for $2.00 charge.


4.5   Communication:


Dave attended a Component HR committee conference and the guest speaker from CEDA talked on the impact of social media ie. You Tube. Research has shown that this is the communication tool of the day/future. Dave suggested that we try this for the Habitat for Humanity project. Dave is going to contact Jeffrey Vallis to discuss possibility.  


4.6   Next Meeting Date – June 22nd – Capital Ex Parade prep


4.7   Round table – no round table input


4.8   Adjournment – 7:20 p.m.