Calgary Regional Women’s Committee Minutes – March 14, 2019
Regional Women’s Committee Minutes – March 14, 2019
Deb Kosteniuk UTE 30024
Jennifer Jurca UCTE 30318 (Recorder)
Tabassom Javadi Doudarani UNE 30040
Kirsten Strachey UTE 30024
Regional Office Rep – Dolly Ablitt
Arliss Chute USGE 30129
Vicky Norris UTE 30024
Stephanie Hooper CIU 30036
Alin Ibrahim CEIU 30856
Hazel Buchanan USGE
The Meeting was called to order at 6:08 p.m.
Agenda approval: Consensus
Minutes from previous meeting: Nov 7, 2018 were approved.
B. Old Business
1. Cheque to Awo Taan: We wrote a Replacement cheque (Cheque for $750+ 7.50 NSF charge) plus a $1000 cheque to Awo Taan for this year’s Sisters in Spirit Vigil donation. These should be cashed by now. Dolly suggested using the big cheque if we needed for a photo opportunity.
2. AFL Childcare Lobby Day: See Kirsten’s report. She learned a lot and appreciated the opportunity to attend.
3. 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence: We did FB posts and an email to component presidents to make them aware.
4. December 6 – Day of Remembrance: Showed, “After the Massacre” movie and discussed the changes (or not) in the last 30 years, followed by a candle light vigil.
5. PSAC Mandates: For this 3 year cycle, the PSAC mandates are Political Action, Engaging Members, and Working Together (stop the infighting). RWC mandates will be Gender Equity across the Union at all levels, Domestic Violence, Childcare, and MMIW. We may be able to make some of these political action items; particularly childcare. There is discussion about bringing back the No More Fairytales campaign but as an election issue, so making it a little harder hitting.
Deb is looking to do a joint campaign with other RWCs, and is thinking to do a Baby Stroller campaign out in the public.
C. New Business
6. AGM: Currently set for Wednesday April 3, 2019 at 6pm
7. Financial Statement/Budget:
Financial Statement from 2018: We received some late cheques in 2018 for things that happened in 2017 (Women’s retreat 150.08, and regional office grand opening 459.68, IWD Funding $1025.00, all deposited on April 6) So we had revenue of $3334.76.
Expenses include 2 cheques to Awo Taan, for the above noted Sisters in Spirit donation and the replacement cheque from the Women’s retreat speaking fee, plus the RWC meetings, and various events and activities we undertook.
Note: Vicky is owed for the Scotiabank Marathon, but we haven’t seen her to give her the cheque.
Budget Request for 2019: Includes:
– Meeting expenses of food at $300 ($15 per person, for 4 people at 5 meetings) and a parking estimate is $150.
– Planned Donations to Awo Taan is $1000 for October 4 event. Deb is thinking to ask Marianne to pay for wage loss so RWC Executive members can attend.
– IWD expenses of $900 for prizes at this event. We need to include a meat and cheese platter for in the future. Next year IWD is on Saturday March 8, so it may be at the Kerby Centre. We could potentially do a fair as well to host entrepreneurs.
– Bear Witness Day expenses of $570 which includes lost wages for 3 people for 4 hours, and other supplies. We will do this in the Harry Hayes atrium as we can rent it through PWCS (Public Works and Corporate Services) Can do cupcakes or slab cakes and photo opportunity with bears, then give people literature. Kirsten to follow up with Chris and Magali about what the Union is doing about Bear Witness day. Jenn to get a quote for 2 slab cakes, or flats of cupcakes.
– Movie Night expenses of 125. We are planning for 1 more movie night in June before we go dark.
– Sisters in Spirit, $125. The donation is already accounted for. The only additional cost would be if we wanted stickers. Could get a roll of stickers or get the pack of stickers, but we could print them at the Union Office. Swag in the form of whistles or slap fans would be great.
– Toy drive costs of $125. This is planned to go the same as last year, except including a thank you card to send back to the local afterwards.
– No More Fairytales event costs of $200, to buy supplies like dolls etc.
– Bank fees etc of $23.40
Our total budget request for 2019 is $2326.67
8. IWD: It was on Friday this year, for the first time. We had our usual table with the wheel and prizes, including mystery gifts from UFCW.
Next year, we want to budget to include turkeys, chickens, hams, roast beef, etc so we can provide more protein.
Dolly – volunteered at conference on March 6 called Standing Together for the Alberta Network of Immigrant Women. Made lots of new connections, some of whom we could invite to speak at some events.
Meeting adjourned at 7:26