Attendees: Alec Goertzen – President (CIU #30036); Dale Marianicz – Vice President (AGR #30046); Phillip Chan – Treasurer (UNE SSO #30040); Janet Parris – Secretary (UTE #30024); Zef Ordman – USGE #30129; Treva Lemaire – UNE #32951; Guest: Dolly Ablitt – PSAC RO
CalgaryArea Council Meeting Minutes April 7, 2014
Alec Goertzen – President (CIU #30036)
Dale Marianicz – Vice President (AGR #30046)
Phillip Chan – Treasurer (UNE SSO #30040)
Janet Parris – Secretary (UTE #30024)
Zef Ordman – USGE #30129
Treva Lemaire – UNE #32951
Dolly Ablitt – PSAC RO
The meeting started promptly at 6:00 pm.
- Br. Goertzen presented the Agenda for review and adoption. M/S/C Parris/Chan
- Br. Goertzen presented the February 5, 2014minutes for review & adoption. M/S/C: Marianicz/Chan
- Br. Chan presented a verbal report advising the audit had been completed before the deadline, no issues, the bank a/c balance is about $1K right now.
Day of Mourning:
- This will be held on Monday, April 28th at 12:15pm– Worker’s Memorial at City Hall. Organized by CDLC – there will be a wreath laying ceremony. Br. Marianicz will be attending and possibly B.Goertzen. Information will be sent by Regional office to Locals for distribution to members.
- Being held 2nd week of June. National President has always put out a call letter requesting non-participation by the members. We have had several campaigns over the past years. A self-explanatory letter is out again from the National President requesting members do not participate in NPSW. How can an employer celebrate their workers, and then cut and slash earned benefits from underneath them? There will be a boycott of NPSW. Flyers will be provided to Locals.
- Information is being coordinated by PSAC for a new campaign about ‘Take a Stand for Sick Leave’. Flyers and other awareness info will soon be sent out to members to help understand how this will impact their work and rights. There is also a tentative Town Hall April 30th to have an involved discussion on sick leave. Preliminary plans are in progress for local workplace meetings to talk about issues at hand and get feedback.
- While the employer may claim that this new strategy is about employee wellness, it’s really about restricting access to leave, reducing the number of sick leave and disability claims, and contracting-out the administration of sick leave and disability insurance.
- Members would see their sick leave restricted, controlled, and contracted out. They would be pushed back to work early, or forced on to long-term disability. They would be harassed by third-party insurance providers. We believe there is a better way forward on sick leave.
- We have participated with Regional Women’s Committee and the Human Rights Committee for the past 4 years with a booth at Globalfest and participation in the citizenship ceremony. Dates this year are August 14-23. The Human Rights forum will again be held August 11 – August 15th. Members have been asked to participate in the Globalfest activities, Citizenship Ceremony and PSAC has been requested to attend a forum on August 15th – “Creating an inclusive Workplace in Calgary.” Full information surrounding the Globalfest events is available on their website. Further discussion will take place at Area Council’s next meeting.
Prairie Region Convention:
- Delegates need to make their travel arrangements once advised by the Winnipeg Convention coordinator.
Nothing raised by attendees.
Meeting adjourned at 19:30hours.
Next meeting is scheduled for some time early to mid-June before convention: date/time to be advised and posted to website.