This course is for PSAC union representatives (stewards, local officers, etc.) who have: training on and experience with representing members generally; and training on and experience with presenting a grievance during a hearing/meeting with the employer.
The PSAC is pleased to offer an advanced course for Union representatives…
ADVANCED REPRESENTATION TRAINING FOR STEWARDS (ARTS)
- Alberta: October 23-26, 2015
- Saskatchewan: November 6-9, 2015
This course is for PSAC union representatives (stewards, local officers, etc.) who have:
- training on and experience with representing members generally; and
- training on and experience with presenting a grievance during a hearing/meeting with the employer.
Applicants must be PSAC members in good standing who have:
- completed a Talking Union Basics (TUB) or National Aboriginal People’s Circle (NAPC) courses or equivalent;
- completed a Grievance Handling (GH) course or equivalent; and
- experience representing members in the workplace with management.
The Advanced Representation Training for Stewards (ARTS) course is an advanced four-day course with a focus on representation. You will look at various routes for engaging members in helping them to resolve workplace issues. You will deepen your knowledge of the processes and legal framework of grievance handling and what is needed from you to support the PSAC’s representation of members at all levels of the grievance process, up to arbitration/adjudication.
Using case studies based on grievances that have been to arbitration/adjudication, you will practice steps in the grievance process including:
- interviewing a member
- meeting with management for initial problem solving
- drafting a grievance
- preparing for a grievance hearing, and
- representing a member at a grievance hearing
The PSAC will provide travel, accommodation, meal and incidental allowances, loss of salary, and reimbursement of family care costs, in accordance with the PSAC Travel and Family Care policies.
PSAC representatives interested in this course are asked to apply online.
Any questions: Please contact: Judy Shannon, Prairies Regional Education Officer
All applicants will be contacted to advise if they have been accepted as a participant on the course. Details about travel, accommodation, expenses, etc. will be sent to union representatives selected as course participants.