The PSAC is pleased to offer a new advanced course for Union representatives:
Advanced Duty to Accommodate: Accommodating Members with Disabilities
December 7-9, 2012
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Note: This course is open to all union representatives across the Prairie Region, regardless of location, with the applicable training identified below.
Course hours (approximately):
- Dec 7th 3:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Dec 8th 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Dec 9th 9:00 a.m. to noon
This course is for PSAC union representatives (stewards, local officers, etc.) who have:
- experience and training on representing members with disabilities;
- training and experience on the duty to accommodate;
- received some union training (or equivalent experience) directly related to representation.
The goal of the Advanced Duty to Accommodate course is to develop our union’s ability to provide effective representation on the duty to accommodate members with disabilities, at the Local level.
By the end of the course, participants will…
- when the duty to accommodate becomes applicable;
- the different processes involving workplace accommodation for members with disabilities i.e. Disability benefits, return to work (RTW), Workers’ Compensation and injury on duty (IOD), health and safety provisions, and medical assessment;
- more confident when dealing with some of the challenges and key issues related to duty to accommodate members with disabilities (i.e.; mental health disabilities, multiple disabilities and other oppressions and harassment);
- they have the tools and information needed to effectively represent members requiring accommodation in the workplace;
Be Able To:
- apply the legal definition of discrimination and accommodation in the workplace;
- identify proactive accommodation measures for the workplace;
- name various recourse mechanisms for members requiring accommodation.
The PSAC will provide travel, accommodation, meal and incidental allowances, loss of salary, and reimbursement of family care costs, in accordance with the PSAC Travel and Family Care policies. Please note that hotel accommodation will not be provided for participants living in the Saskatoon area.
PSAC representatives interested in this course are asked to apply online or complete the application form below and submit it by Wednesday October 31, 2012 to:
Judy Shannon, Prairies Regional Education Officer
c/o PSAC Edmonton Regional Office
by e-mail, or
All applicants will be contacted by November 6, 2012 to advise if they have been accepted as a participant on the course. Details about travel, accommodation, expenses, etc. will be sent to union representatives selected as course participants by November 7, 2012.