The following courses are open to all Manitoba PSAC members in good standing. Loss of salary and expenses are paid according to the Education Administrative Guidelines on the Prairies website. The schedule will be updated with additional courses in early 2019.
TALKING UNION BASICS (TUB)
Friday, January 25, starts at 5:30 pm ends at 8:30 pm and continues on Saturday, January 26, starts at 9:00 am ends at 4:30 pm
Deadline for applying is Monday, January 14, 2019
This Friday night/Saturday course is the union’s key “introductory” education event. If you have wondered what it means to be a union member, how the PSAC works, and what happens to your dues dollars, then Talking Union Basics provides answers to these questions.
- The course also introduces the collective agreement, your employee rights and your rights as a member of the PSAC.
- You will learn about the many opportunities to be active in the union and ways you can make a contribution to building strong locals in the Prairie region.
- It is recommended that members take Talking Union Basics first, as it provides the basic knowledge you need to get the most from other PSAC courses.
Saturday, February 16, starts at 9:00 am ends at 4:30 pm and continues on Sunday, February 17, starts at 9:00 am ends at 4:30 pm
Deadline for applying is Wednesday, January 30, 2019
This two-day course for union stewards will develop
- participants’ knowledge, skills, and confidence in effectively solving problems at the workplace.
- A major portion of time will be spent on the relevant technical skills i.e. identifying, investigating, writing up, and presenting grievances.
HEALTH & SAFETY AT PSAC WORKPLACES – MANITOBA
Saturday, February 23, starts at 9:00 am ends at 4:30 pm
Deadline for applying is Wednesday, February 6, 2019
This one-day course is for any member who would like to know more about safe and healthy workplaces.
- Participants will learn about the roles and responsibilities of workers, employers and unions,
- and discover the important events in the union’s struggle for health and safety in our workplaces.
- We will discuss the pros and cons of the “internal responsibility system” and explore ways that PSAC members can exercise their rights to a safe and healthy workplace.
VIOLENCE PREVENTION IN FEDERALLY REGULATED WORKPLACES
Saturday, March 23, starts at 9:00 am ends at 4:30 pm and continues on Sunday, March 24, starts at 9:00 am ends at 4:30 pm
Deadline for applying is Wednesday, March 6, 2019
This two-day advanced course provides information and enforcement tools on the Canada Labour Code Part II requirements on violence prevention. Areas of study include:
- recourse methods for preventing and dealing with workplace violence;
- the rights and obligations of workers, workplace committees and the union;
- complaints; and other protections available for PSAC members.
Pre-requisites: an understanding of the Internal Complaint Resolution Process and the three basic health and safety rights (right to know, right to participate, right to refuse).
Selection preference will be given to members who are active Local/Branch Officers and/or active Health and Safety Committee Members or Representatives.
Course content will also reflect provincial legislation, if applicable.