An update on Pride events on the Prairies.
Hello Members, Area Councils, Human Rights Committees and Women’s Committees. My name is Chris Little-Gagné and I am your elected GLBT Representative on the Prairie Region Council.
May 17th is the International Day against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia. The 2018 campaign this year is “Still a crime in my country”, visit www.homophobie.org to get great information or print off posters to help share for diversity and inclusion at your workplace. (Digital information should be available soon.)
As we are currently entering the Pride season, below are the current events. Please let us know what PSAC committees and members are doing to show support. We would love to share photos of local pride events on the PSAC Prairies website. You can let Thomas Linner know at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jasper Pride: April 19 to 22
- Edmonton Pride Festival: June 8 to 17
- Lethbridge Pride: June 15 to 23
- Central Alberta Pride Week (Red Deer): August 12 to 19
- Calgary Pride: August 24 to September 3
- Medicine Hat Pride: Dates TBA
- Gay and Lesbian Association of the Peace (Grand Prairie): June 14 to 16
- Fort McMurray LGBTQmunity: August
- Moose Jaw Pride: Dates TBA
- Prince Albert Pride Week: June 3 to 9
- Southwest Saskatchewan Pride (Swift Current): June 3 to 9
- Saskatoon Pride: June 10 to 24
- Queen City Pride (Regina): June 8 to 17
- Brandon Pride: June 11- 16 /
- Pride Winnipeg: May 25 – June 3
- Pride North of 55 (Thompson): Dates TBA
- Steinbach Pride: July 9
- Winnipeg should also focus on this event for an activity in 2020.
I would like to remind everyone of the great PSAC campaigns (Child Care and Domestic Violence). These campaigns do affect the LGBT+ community as well and there could be some great tie-ins and support from the community if approached. Please contact me if you are looking at gaining more information about the Positive Space initiative and how you can bring diversity and inclusion for LGBT+ members to your local/workplace.
GLBT Prairies Representative
Prairie Region Council