The following courses are open to all Manitoba PSAC members in good standing.
TALKING UNION BASICS (TUB) Friday, September 22, 2017 from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm Saturday, September 23, 2017 from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
Deadline for applying is Monday, September 11, 2017
This Friday night/Saturday course is the union’s key “introductory” education event. If you have wondered what it means to be a union member, how the PSAC works, and what happens to your dues dollars, then Talking Union Basics provides answers to these questions.
The course also introduces the collective agreement, your employee rights and your rights as a member of the PSAC.
You will learn about the many opportunities to be active in the union and ways you can make a contribution to building strong locals in the Prairie region.
It is recommended that members take Talking Union Basics first, as it provides the basic knowledge you need to get the most from other PSAC courses.
FACING MANAGEMENT Saturday, October 14, 2017 from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
Deadline for applying is Wednesday, September 27, 2017
This one-day course is designed to develop skills when meeting with management.
By the end of this valuable course you will be able to;
• Understand that when meeting with management you are equals
• Development your knowledge, skills and confidence to effectively consult with management
• Be able to effectively address issues in the workplace on behalf of members
GRIEVANCE HANDLING Saturday, October 28, 2017 from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm Sunday, October 29, 2017 from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
Deadline for applying is Wednesday, October 11, 2017
This two-day course for union stewards will develop participants’ knowledge, skills, and confidence in effectively solving problems at the workplace prior to filing grievances.
A major portion of time will be spent on the relevant technical skills i.e. identifying, investigating, writing up, and presenting grievances.
WOMEN’S PLACE IS IN THE UNION Saturday, November 25, 2017 from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm (Rescheduled on Oct.13 due to Santa Claus Parade conflict)
Deadline for applying is Wednesday, November 8, 2017
This one-day course brings together PSAC women to discuss the history of women’s work and the labour movement; celebrate the gains made in our journey towards equality and develop strategies for the work still to be done. We will achieve this while and making friends, creating allies and building solidarity!
This is a precursor to the 5 Day advanced Women’s course to be held next year across the region.
DAY OF ALLIES Saturday, December 2, 2017 from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
Deadline for applying is Wednesday, November 15, 2017
This new one-day course will focus on developing a greater understanding of GLB and trans issues in order to be a strong ally and representative to GLB and trans members/communities.
• Define Trans, Gender Identity, Gender Expression, homophobia and heterosexism, and explore the use of language to empower or disempower
• Build our understanding of the trans experience to foster compassion as a steward including the basic knowledge and tools to properly represent a transitioning member
• Understand the steward’s role in addressing GLB issues in the workplace/union, or when a member transitions from one gender to another
• Understand the employer’s responsibilities during worker transitions
• Review collective agreement language and other legal protections that protects GLB and trans members
• Explore homophobia as a social construct, not just a “fear” or “phobia”
• Identify gains made by unions for GLB and trans members/communities