PSAC’s Social Justice Fund is working with CoDevelopment Canada (CoDev) to offer a group of young activists from our union an important and unique opportunity to see first hand the beneficial outcomes of union international solidarity and social justice programs.
Part of CoDev’s mandate and partnership model is making links between Canadians and Latin Americans for mutual learning and solidarity. One of the best ways to experience this mandate and deepen our partnership and understanding is through delegations: taking Canadians to Latin America to meet the partners they support and learn first hand about their issues.
Canadian participants inevitably return home with a deeper understanding of the challenges faced by their Latin American partners, a greater appreciation of their depth of knowledge and a strengthened commitment to engaging in solidarity here at home.
Rachel Albiez, a young worker from Lethbridge, Alberta, was chosen to represent the Prairie Region in this delegation and will travel to Honduras and El Salvador from November 30 to December 9, 2011 to learn about union international solidarity programs.
Rachel will be posting regular blog entries about her experiences in Central America. Check back frequently from Nov. 30 to Dec. 9 for updates.
- Blog #1: Prepare for take off (11/23/11)
- Blog #2: First impressions (12/01/11)
- Blog #3: Shocking working conditions (12/04/11)
- Blog #4: From Honduras to El Salvador (12/06/11)
- Blog #5: Youthful Inspiration (12/08/11)
- Blog #6: A picture is worth a thousand words (12/12/11)
- Blog # 7: Reflecting on the experience (12/14/11)
- Video diary: Young Workers Delegation