Minutes from the September 25, 2013 Saskatoon Area Council Meeting
Saskatoon and District Area Council General Meeting
September 25, 2013
Present:Jackie Nettleton, AGR; Mike Brecht, CEIU; Brenda Baergen, AGR; Rosemary Neufeld, AGR; Louise Mardell, PSAC Regional Rep; and Nicole Wurm, AGR.
April 24, 2013 minutes reviewed and accepted.
Today’s meeting agenda reviewed and accepted.
- Due to PSAC Regional Office renovations, the most recent bank statement available is from May 2013. The bank balance as of May 31st, 2013 was $2,065.15.
Saskatoon Regional Women’s Committee (RWC) Events Review
- Sister’s in Spirit Vigil – October 4th starting at 6pm at the Saskatoon Indian and Metis Friendship Center.
- Women’s Conference – November 18-22nd in Toronto. Karen Zoller and Nancy Johnson are attending.
- November Shoebox event – approximately 10 boxes will be put together for less fortunate children.
- Violence Against Women – the RWC will research to see if a permanent monument can be established in Saskatoon.
- Scotiabank Game Changer – The RWC and Area Council encourages everyone to go online and vote for NASHI so the organization has a chance to win cash for their fabulous work.
PSAC Regional Office Annual Open House
- December 5th, starting at 4pm. A guest speaker will hopefully be arranged from the Saskatoon Food Bank to attend, and a donation given to them.
- The workplace award was given to the Department of Justice for the highest participation rate.
- The Area Council presented gift certificates from Ten Thousand Villages to the members.
Labour Day BBQ
- Once again we had a beautiful day in Saskatoon for the BBQ and there was a large attendance from the community. We will try to have more swag to hand out for next year’s BBQ.
- The Area Council will purchase a wreath to be laid at the Saskatoon Remembrance Day ceremony.
Prairie Regional Council Meeting
- The next meeting is October 17-18th in Winnipeg, and the next triennial convention is in Saskatoon, June 27-29, 2014.
- A call out for volunteers for the Host Committee will be made.
- Take Back the Night march and rally.
- PSAC downsizing was discussed.
- Kitchen Conversations workshop held by the Saskatoon RWC and Regional Human Rights Committee – date to be announced.
- Regina RWC Childcare and Domestic Violence event in Moose Jaw October 26th, 10-3pm at the Temple Gardens. Register on-line by September 30th.
- Boarder Services possible day of action event on October 10th at the Regina Airport.
- Saskatoon political campaigns are being planned in various communities.