The next federal election is scheduled to be held on October 19, 2015. To act a reminder of this, we are calling on members to mark this day on the 19th of each month with actions in their workplaces and locals.
On January 19, more locals joined this movement and participated in actions to shed light on the reckless cuts of the Conservative government and demonstrate support for PSAC bargaining teams.
- Lethbridge, AB - Agriculture Local 30048 got a head start this month with their #NineteenNewYearsResolutions initiative. Members kicked off the new year by tweeting out 19 easy to do, union and politically themed new years resolutions. Many of these tweets were retweeted and favourited, with some PIPSC members even adding their own resolutions to the conversation.
Some of these resolutions included, "I will vote", "I will mentor new comers", and "I will support other labour organizations." View all 19 resolutions and the discussion on Twitter using the hashtag #NineteenNewYearsResolutions.
On the 19th, the Local held a meeting, including a bargaining update and photo op holding "standing together for public services" signs.
- Innisfail, AB - USGE members working at Bowden Institution held an information picket distributing bargaining updates and invitations to an information session. The meeting later that night with John Wilson (SV group negotiator) and Blair Winger (SV group bargaining team member) lasted 2.5 hours with strong attendance and participation from members.
- High River, AB - Agriculture Local 30046 members working at CFIA Registered Establishment 93 (Cargill Foods) took action on the 20th by distributing fish samosas, which were donated in solidarity with the event.
- Various other Locals throughout Alberta participated with actions of their own. In Coutts, CIU members wore badges and bracelets showing support for their bargaining teams, as did USGE members in Drumheller. CEIU Local 30877 in Calgary did a desk drop to all members with a bargaining update and notice of upcoming AGM.
- Regina, SK - DCL 40005 at Casino Regina marked the 19th with a photo of members wearing face masks and holding "standing together for fairness/standing together for public services" signs.
- Saskatoon, SK - Members from UNE Local 40195 gathered outside the workplace in face masks and toilet paper casts, carrying signs supporting public services and our bargaining teams. Those who participated also dressed in black.
These types of actions and events will only continue to grow throughout the region and across the country as we head into the 2015 federal election. Download the poster below to put up on your union board and encourage members in your local to get involved.
|Download and print the 19th flyer||261.8 KB|