Tuesday –August 15th, 2017 – 5:30 pm
PSAC – 175 Hargrave Street
Attendees: Sheilagh Hanson, Serena Pottinger , Nicole Papineau,, Rachel d’Eschambault, Yvonne Hein, Frank Janz (Guest of Regional Women’s Committee), Tina Matias-Bouchard (PSAC rep) and Charlotte Cameron (United Way speaker)
1. Call to Order at 5:30
2. Anti-Harassment Statement
3. Charlotte Cameron (204-924-4261) introduces the “Community Advocates” course; a joint learning program with Canadian Labour Congress and the United Way (min 15-20 participants required) -3 levels/8 sessions totaling 24 hours/$100 per person
4. Agenda approved
5. Adopted minutes approved
6. Previous business – nothing discussed
7. New business:
Shoal Lake trip almost finalized. Info available soon. (Saturday in September?)
Underwear Drive for Centre Flavie Laurent: try in November after GCWCC and School Supply drive
Self defense/anti bullying: To be determined due to possible renovations ($50/hr no matter the amount of people)
School supplies and feminine hygiene product drives – (Point Douglas?) –ideas for fall
16 days of Activism against Gender-based violence – Nov 25-Dec 8/ Day of mourning – Plan? How men can hold sessions? Send out posters as reminders?
Take Back the Night – Sheilagh planning committee – TBA
Picketing Jim Carr’s office – Aug 23
8. Treasury Report – Balance $2815.66 (in future, we now know we can ask for $$ to cover missing funds)
9. Union Knowledge Keepers Gathering
10. School supply drive ends Aug 23
11. Upcoming talk – no date, possible fall.
12. Upcoming training – Women’s place in the union
13. Human Rights based event – Barbershop toolbox on UN women’s site + workshop for men on how to be allies
14. Plane Pull for United Way – Labour team still requires clarification if we’re using YWG
15. Edmonton RWC: one day workshop re: childcare plus a March. Can we look to them for ideas?
Yvonne – Beds from Canada games put to good use (20@ Flavie, 20 @ Main street project, etc..)
Tina – August 24th – Rally at St. Boniface hospital + others in regards to health care cuts. Also check Facebook for other rallies.
17. Next meeting date: September 21st.