Edmonton Human Rights Committee
Meeting Minutes April 8, 2015
1. Call to Order
- The Meeting called to order at 1730
2. Approval of the Agenda:
- Vacant VP position
- June 6 presentation
- June 20 presentation
- Petition follow up
3. Review and approval of the previous meeting’s agenda
- The last minutes dated 11 March 2015 were adopted
4. Reports: None
5. Previous business:
- June 5: Edmonton GLBT Pride Parade. Everything already in place for this event except for a few minor details. Poster presented and minor changes made. Expect distribution in the next few weeks.
- June 20: Aboriginal Day. Genevieve and Murray presented the idea in more details. Murray created a poster for the event. The event will start at 8 am from the future site of “The Sweats at Kihciy Askiy” at Fox Farms. After a blessing from an elder and a few words from a speaker, we will start the 9.4 km march towards the Centennial Plaza via the legislature grounds where we will gather with another elder or drumming circle and the people that want to walk a shorter distance. From the plaza, a BBQ will be taking place at 1 pm and have crafters, local support services and performers on site. Around 2, we will march again for 1.4 km to bring the group to the National Aboriginal Day Live site at Louise McKinney Park that is being hosted by APTN. We are currently working on partnering with other groups on this project.
- December 3 or 10 – no new ideas yet. Calendar ideas to be drafted by July. Genevieve and Dave to bring in UNE calendar for ideas.
- Filling the VP position is ideal, but not mandatory. We will delay until we can generate more interest. This could be a good way to bring in more human rights reps from locals.
- Financials: We still need to get the signing authority changed.
- It was decided that we will not get involved with the petition brought up at the last meeting as it would support “a person” rather than “people” as a whole. There is also a lot of negative controversy around this case and we are trying to keep things positive this year.
6. New business:
- Marianne gave a summary of current action plans and discussed a budget regarding the upcoming events for the committee.
- Murray and Genevieve to continue planning the June 20 event.
- Recruit more members
- Complete the signing authority process
8. Round Robin:
- Everyone is excited for the upcoming events still
9. Next meeting date, time and location:
- The next meetings were set for 7 and 26 May as well as 9 June 2015 @1730 @ PSAC Regional Office
- The next Edmonton Area Council meeting is 15 April 2015 @1730 @ PSAC Regional Office
10. Agenda for next meeting – TBA
- The meeting was adjourned at 1900