Edmonton Area Council Meeting Minutes (June 9, 2021)

Area Council Committees engage with PSAC campaigns, lobby politicians and raise awareness of issues affecting our members, workers and the Canadian Public. Check out these minutes for current actions and events.

In Attendance:

Darlene Lewis                   Chair – UHEW Local 30016

Sabino Spagnudo              Vice Chair – CEIU Local 30876

Corie McGaughey             Member at Large – UTE Local 30025

Patience Terkper               Treasurer – UHEW Local 30703

Dragana Ristivojevich        Secretary/PRC Edmonton Area Council Rep – UTE 30025

Oneil Carlier                      PSAC Rep   

Regrets:

Marie France Boudreault   UVAE Local 30026

Monica Hill                        CEIU Local 30853

Lasia Horbul                     UVAE Local 30026

Arlene Suzuki                    UVAE Local 30026

Minute Taker:     Dragana Ristivojevich

1        Call to Order The meeting was conducted by a Zoom video conference under COVID-19 protocols and was called to order at 5:33 pm. 

2        Harassment StatementThe Harassment Statement was read by Sabino.

For tonight’s meeting the Harassment Coordinator is Oneil Carlier and his phone numbers are as follows:

(w) 780-423-1290; (w) 1-800-814-3948; (c) 780-220-0361.

3        Attendance:   Darlene welcomed everyone to the meeting and did the Land Acknowledgement recognizing that we are on Treaty 6 which is a traditional gathering place.  Participants introduced themselves, their affiliation and their positions within the Union. 

4        Approval of Agenda:  Sabino wanted “Communications” to be added to our agenda.  Corie wanted to add “Prairies Convention” to the agenda as well.  All agreed and the agenda was adopted with the above additions.

5        Adoption of May 12, 2021 Minutes:   The May 12, 2021 minutes were adopted.

6        Reports:  

Financial Report – Sabino, our past Treasurer of the Edmonton Council Committee, had contacted the bank and was advised by them that there are number of forms that still need to be completed. Sabino will complete these forms. These forms need to be completed before the appointment is set up with the bank. Patience, the current Treasurer, will need to go to the bank and bring these completed forms with her.  The earliest appointment with the bank is next Friday June 18, 2021.  The bank also requires the signing authorities to bring in their address history and two pieces of government issued ID to the appointment.  On-Line banking requires two signatures. Patience will be made the administrator of our bank account and will be given a five-digit pin. 

The current bank statement shows $1.00 as the bank balance.  As there were no financial transactions.  Sabino had nothing to report at this time. Sabino will inform us when all of the administrative requirements have been completed.

7        Old Business:

Authorized Signatures for Banking – The three authorized signatures to our bank account are as follows:  Darlene Lewis, Sabino Spagnudo and Patience Terkper.  Former Chair, Freada Vamvounis-Clarke’s name still needs to be removed.

          Yearly Reporting Package – Dragana had inquired in regards to our Financial Reporting package and there is a delay to the preparation of the PRC Convention in June, 2021.

Direct Deposit – There is still no word from Marianne Hladun in regards to Direct Deposit.

8        New Business 

Mobilization – Darlene posed a question on how we reach out to our Locals in regards to the Area Council Committee and raise local awareness of our activities.

Darlene suggested if we mail out an introduction letter to all of the members on behalf of the Edmonton Area Council would we require Marianne’s permission to obtain an address list of all PSAC members.

Dragana stated that in the past, UTE at their AGM had representatives from each of the PSAC Committees (PSAC Edmonton Women’s Committee, PSAC Edmonton Human Rights Committee and the PSAC Edmonton Area Council Committee) where each committee had their own separate tables promoting their committees with one member at the table.

Patience stated that one or two members from the PSAC Edmonton Area Council Committee would be invited to attend each Local’s meeting and we could “work like ambassadors” to promote our Committee.

Sabino added that if we had access to U-Link we could write a script of what the Committee does and is responsible for.  This could be a regular yearly invite to when the Local’s host their meeting. 

Corie would like to see that a rep from each of the other two committees be part of this. Locals at their AGM or quarterly meetings could book us to promote each of our committees.  She could see this as being a future resolution.  She suggested that we prioritize on which Local to start with (i.e.  UTE has close to 900 members). 

Darlene liked the idea of attending the Local’s meetings where we could speak for 15 minutes on what the PSAC Edmonton Area Council does.  We could create a physical/electronic pamphlet to be provided to each member in attendance and we could obtain PSAC swag to give away as prizes at these events.

Sabino and Patience will draft up an overall proposal for money for the prizes.

All agreed with Darlene’s initial idea.  Darlene asked that we bring forward ideas on how to create a pamphlet to be sent to the Locals as well as to our members.  Corie stated that the pamphlet must grab their attention as to say “This is the committee you want to be part of”. 

Resolutions – Darlene stated that she had attended a Bargaining Conference and how important it is for us to write resolutions. as you can make changes.  She encouraged each of us in writing resolutions.  Through resolutions we can make changes.

Communications – Sabino would like to set up an app called “EAC- Mobilization”.  He has created a G-Mail for the Edmonton Area Council Committee the Edmontonareacouncil@gmail.com.  He will also create folder in Google Drive and will forward an E-Mail when it’s done.  The Canva Program is a good tool to use in member engagement.  Corie questioned about personal information will it contain as this information will this be available to all to see. Darlene would like to see a group E-Mail to be set up where only the Executive of the Edmonton Area Council have access to it. Further discussions at our next meeting. 

Prairie Convention – The PRC Prairie Convention is scheduled to start on June 24, 2021.  She is requesting if one of us has a copy of the resolutions that were discussed at one of the Edmonton Area Council meeting. 

9        Roundtable 

  • Dragana – Nothing to add. 
  • Patience – Nothing to add.
  • Sabino – Nothing to add.
  • Darlene – Nothing to add.   
  • Oneil – Nothing to add.

10      Next Meeting Date:  Wednesday July 28, 2021 at 5:30 pm. 

Meeting AdjournedMeeting adjourned at 7:41 pm.