Each year the month of June brings Pride festivities throughout the Prairie Region and around the world. Pride is an opportunity to celebrate diversity in the GLBT community, and recognize the contributions and accomplishments of our GLBT sisters and brothers.
We’ve come a long way in the fight for equal rights, but we’re not there yet. That’s exactly why annual Pride celebrations are so necessary. It’s a time to celebrate, but also a time to shed light on the injustices faced by the GLBT community around the world. This includes countries like Russia and Uganda, which legislate and promote homophobia and intolerance, but even right here in Canada where we still have a long way to go as a society.
The fight for GLBT rights and equality is a global issue, and one that your union is proud to support and participate in. To recognize Pride this year, we’ve released a special edition of the award-winning Prairies Video Project. Watch the video to learn more about rights for GLBT people in Canada and in our union.
We encourage all PSAC members to join us in the fight by participating in community events and standing together in solidarity.
- Pride Winnipeg – May 23 – June 1, 2014 (Parade June 1)
- Prince Albert Pride Week – June 1-8, 2014
- Edmonton Pride Festival – June 6-15, 2014 (Parade June 7)
- Queen City Pride (Regina) – June 9-15, 2014 (Parade June 14)
- Brandon Pride – June 12-15, 2014
- Saskatoon Pride Festival – June 15-22, 2014 (Parade June 21)
- Pride North of 55 (Thompson) – June 28, 2014
- Lethbridge Pride Fest – July 2-5, 2014
- Pride Calgary – August 22 – September 1, 2014
Check out the website of your local festival for details on activities and actions. Contact your regional office for details on how you can get involved and participate.