Calgary Area Council Meeting Minutes July 26, 2017

 

Calgary Area Council Meeting Minutes

July 26th 2017

Attendees:

Alec Goertzen, President

Dale Marianicz, Vice-President

Melisa Lumbala, Secretary

Phil Chan, Treasurer

Deb Kosteniuk, UTE30024

Guests:

Raj Hari, RO Rep

------

The meeting was called to order at 5:35 p.m. 

Agenda

Br Alec presented the Agenda for review.  No amendments noted.

Minutes

Br Alec presented the May 17th, 2017 minutes for review and adoption    M/S/C  Deb/Phil

Correction from NPSQ to NPSW.

Treasurer’s Update

Br Phil reported on few matters:

As of June 30th 2017, balance is 1226.31$  Projected funding for Labor Day and fall events only.

NPSW event – Our projected activity distribution of ice cream and funding from REVP office for national Public Service week was good for our end balance.

Labour Day event - should cost approximately 800$.  Br Phil said he didn’t hear anything yet from Marianne Hladun on funding. Br Alec advised he didn’t present the event budget yet, but it was already approved in principal, and will do it to ensure monies are received in time.

Br Alec will be absent from August 21st to September 28Th and so will not be part of the Labour Day activity. Need to delegate who will be take lead for doing what and mentioned that Br Phil and Raj will organize the day as we need a plan.

  • Br Phil said he will help to pick up condiments the Friday September 1st before Labor Day.
  • Br Dale can arrange to come by and assist with loading tent, etc. to take over to the event location.
  • Sis Deb will attend
  • Sis Melisa will be out of town that weekend
  • Br Phil will send volunteer invite out to HRC members

Br Alec mentioned it may be a good an idea to improve on dessert, and a discussion about maybe doing watermelon or other options. A proposal and decision was made to provide rice krispies or puffed square (pre-packaged) and will ask for a quote at safe way to see if we could include in the budget. Members did agree with it.

Br Alec asked to Br Raj if we could use PSAC flag/swag with phoenix logo burning.  Br Raj said he would ask.

Old Business

Ice cream Truck – Br Alec noted that for NPSW in it was a good event at Harry Hays building and thanked everyone for their input and assistance. Br Dale did say said he was a little bit disappointed to see that nobody sent an email regarding the event to let us know how it went.

Since the airport postponed their NPSW event it may be a good option to host this event at their location. Br Alec asked Br Phil if we can budget for ice cream truck at airport for August. Sis Deb said August is a busy month a discussion was had to maybe do mid-September-October.

Br Chan said it will not be possible, logistic wise, to have the truck at the airport terminal as the parking and getting people to the location may be an issue. Br Alec proposed bar ice cream bars instead.

Sis Melisa, said same for her location as people from the airport doesn’t do not come to the commercial office for events and with shift work it can be complicated for our members. Br Alec said to think about it and we will talk about it next Sept or Oct meeting.

Leadership brunch – funding has been approved in principal for this event in October, however organizing has been a challenge for location, food, speakers, participants and this being a component convention year. After discussion, it was decided to postpone this until early next year.

New Business

Four (4) resolutions were received for review, debate and vote to refer to the upcoming National Triennial Convention April 2018. Br Alec relayed the process and the resolutions will all be moved by Br Alec Goertzen and seconded by Sis Deb Kosteniuk to expedite the process, and will be attached to the minutes.

Resolution 1:  Support for BillS-215 – is an Act to amended Criminal Code (sentencing for violent offences against woman Indigenous Woman)

Discussed

M/S Goertzen/Kosteniuk – Carried unanimous

Resolution 2:  Racially Visible Leadership – develop training dedicated to racially visible members

Debated

M/S Goertzen/Kosteniuk – Carried

Resolution 3:  Transgender Participation at RWC’s

Discussed

M/S Goertzen/Kosteniuk – Carried unanimous

Resolution 4:  Transgender Education for RWC’s

Discussed

M/S Goertzen/Kosteniuk – Carried unanimous

Separate submission of these resolutions approved for referral will be completed by Br. Alec in accordance with the Convention procedures. Deadline is set at Sept 1/2017.

Round Table

Br Chan advised us that his contract with Statistic Canada was terminated and was not sure if he could still participate to Unions activities. He will make application to National President for his status of good standing to see if he can be extended his committee work. He said he would advise us once he receives the President response

Adjourned 7:40pm

Next meeting tentatively set for October, 2017

 

Resolution 1:  Support for BillS-215

BECAUSE Bill S-215, an Act to amend the Criminal Code (sentencing for violent offences against Indigenous women) requires a court to consider the fact that when the victim of an assault or murder is an Indigenous female person, this constitutes an aggravating circumstance for the purpose of sentencing; and

BECAUSE Bill S-215 was passed by the Senate on December 15, 2016 and is now before The House; and

BECAUSE The purpose of Bill S-215 is a remedial response meant to rectify the over-victimization of Indigenous females thus interrupting the detrimental effects and addressing biases;

PSAC WILL provide members direction, training and resources to undertake coordinated national actions pressuring Members of Parliament to pass Bill S-215

RATIONALE
This Bill is a national issue. It affects people right across the country and it creates awareness. Awareness is needed to lobby parliamentarians to pass this Bill.

CALGARY AREA COUNCIL             DECISION: _______________________

________________________

________________________

Date

 

Resolution 2:  Racially Visible Leadership – develop training dedicated to racially visible members

THE PROBLEM OR ISSUE:

BECAUSE The Prairie Region Conference for Racially Visible members identified the lack of leaders from the Racially Visible members as a priority issue; And

BECAUSE racially visible members face unique needs, challenges and experiences; And

BECAUSE creating a safe space where racially visible members can feel free to speak up is a priority for our union

THE ACTIONS REQUESTED:
PSAC WILL develop leadership training dedicated for racially visible members to encourage active participation and more equitable representation in the leadership and diversity in the union.

PSAC make a concerted effort to make racially visible leadership training a reality and to further implement the leadership training nationally within the next three-year cycle.

RATIONALE
A continuation of educational opportunities afforded to racially visible members as a part of resolution of record that was passed at PSAC Triennial convention of 2015. To ensure racially visible leadership training is offered in a timely manner.

CALGARY AREA COUNCIL             DECISION: _______________________

________________________

________________________

Date

 

Resolution 3:  Transgender Participation at RWC’s

BECAUSE transgender people face unique challenges; and

BECAUSE being LBGT inclusive means understanding and welcoming the Transgender Community;

THE PSAC WILL ensure that all members who self identify as a woman are welcomed to the Regional Women's Committees.

RATIONALE
Because PSAC encourages inclusiveness to all we need to open the door for transgender individuals. All members whether born female or self identify as female should be welcome onto a regional women's committee.

CALGARY AREA COUNCIL             DECISION: _______________________

________________________

________________________

Date

 

Resolution 4:  Transgender Education for RWC’s

BECAUSE transgender people face unique challenges; and

BECAUSE being LBGT inclusive means understanding and welcoming the Transgender Community; and

BECAUSE information and educational material would assist the Regional Women's Committees in their quest to be Transgender Allies;

THE PSAC WILL develop educational sessions to provide information to assist the Regional Women's Committees to be as welcoming as possible to members who self identify as a woman.

RATIONALE

Educational awareness is essential for acceptance of transgendered persons.

CALGARY AREA COUNCIL             DECISION: _______________________

________________________

________________________

Date

Our Organization:
Provinces: