The Prairie Voice Awards are presented to members who have provided exemplary service or have been role models and mentors for our members. The objective is to recognize PSAC members for their commitment to the labour movement and work that benefits PSAC members in the Prairies.
The successful nominees will be presented with their awards during the Prairie Region Triennial Convention, to be held in Winnipeg, Manitoba, April 21-23, 2017. Members do not need to be delegates at Convention to be eligible for an award.
If you are aware of someone who fits the criteria and wish to nominate them for this award, please review the guidelines below and complete the online nomination form no later than Thursday, March 23, 2017.
- The online nomination form must be completed no later than Thursday, March 23, 2017
- A nominator may only choose one category per nominee. Please select the most appropriate category for your nominee. Additionally, members may only be awarded in one category per Convention cycle.
- The Prairie Region Council (PRC) Communications Committee (also referred to in this document as the Selection Committee) chooses the award winners based on the nomination forms received, so please take time and care when preparing your nomination form. Be sure to provide examples and rationale as to why your nominee should be chosen above others. Excerpts from the nomination/rationale may be read as part of the award presentation.
- Nominations will be accepted from Locals, Committees or Area Councils, members in good standing or PSAC staff. Members being nominated for the award must be PSAC Prairies members in good standing at the time of nomination.
- The Selection Committee will be responsible for the administration of the award, including reviewing nominations based on identified criteria, selecting winners and presenting the awards during the Convention banquet dinner on Saturday evening.
- For winners not in attendance at Convention, the REVP will be responsible for advising recipients of the awards and for making arrangements to have them presented at a later date.
The Prairie Voice Award shall be awarded to members that fall into the following categories and fit the corresponding criteria. The criteria are suggested guidelines and are open to interpretation by the nominator and Selection Committee.
Please describe how the member fits into the corresponding category and why they are most suited for the award (approximately 150-400 words). A nominator may only choose one category per nominee. Please select the most appropriate category for your nominee. Additionally, members may only be awarded in one category per Convention cycle.
- Building Futures
Awarded to a member who mentors others in their workplace or union. Someone with a kind heart that recognizes the value of mentorship and invests time into the success of others. Someone who teachers, encourages, and guides others in their development and involvement.
- Changing the World
Awarded to a member who is involved in political action or the broader labour movement. Someone who leads marches, organizes rallies, or knocks on the doors of politicians. Someone who is politically charged and devoted to positive change.
- Community Champion
Awarded to a member who is active and involved in their community. Someone who participates in community events, dedicates time to volunteer work, and works towards making their community a better place for everyone.
- Emerging Activist
Awarded to a member who has proven themselves as a future leader of our union. Someone who has recently gotten more involved with the union and is taking on positions, learning more about their union and collective agreement and dedicating their time to justice for workers.
- Human Rights Hero
Awarded to a member who stands up fairness and equality for everyone. Someone who advances human rights work or raises awareness or money for an organization or cause that works with any equity group.
- Judy Shannon Education
Awarded to a member who is an advocate for union education. Someone who participates and encourages others to participate, and dedicates themselves to lifelong learning. In honour and memory of Judy Shannon, a passionate educator and dedicated activist.
- Lifetime of Labour
Awarded to a member who has dedicated their life to the union and union members. Someone who has worked in various roles in their local and component, been involved with bargaining teams, participated in committees, and represents the fundamental principles of union activism in everything they do.
- Social Media Star
Awarded to a member who is active and engaged in the social media community. Someone who helps promote union messages and campaigns, and holds their politicians accountable. Someone who connects with union members about important issues and engages in meaningful, constructive dialogue.
- Workplace Warrior
Awarded to a member who takes on tough challenges or situations in the workplace without hesitation. Someone who consistently follows through with responsibilities and helps educate members on their collective agreement and rights. Someone involved in bargaining or organizing in their workplace.
The Prairie Voice Awards are presented to PSAC Prairies members every three years at the Prairie Region Triennial Convention. For a list of past recipients of the Prairie Voice Awards, visit the 2011 and 2014 awards announcement page.