Winnipeg Area Council Minutes - Dec.13, 2017

WINNIPEG AREA COUNCIL DECEMBER 13, 2017 MINUTES

ATTENDANCE: Lorelei Topnik, James Cooke, Tania Lachance, Gus Mardli, Sheilagh Hanson, Chris Little-Gagne, Yvonne Hein, Serina Pottinger, Tracy Grove, Brett Rainboth

Regrets: Frank Janz, Michael Westwell

  1. Meeting was called to order by Chair Br. Mardli at 17:31
  2. Round table introductions made by all in attendance
  3. Adoption of Agenda –
    • Moved by Br. Cooke, seconded by Sr. Topnik
  4. PSAC Statement of Harassment – deemed as in affect
    • Moved by Sr. Grove, seconded by Sr. Topnik
  5. Adoption of September 26 minutes
    • Moved by Br. Cooke, seconded by Br. Rainboth
  6. Treasure report
    • Balance as of December 13 - $3295.91
      • One outstanding chq - $223.23 to Sr. Pottinger
      • Today’s lunch
    • Motion to adopt Treasure report by Sr. Topnik, Moved by Sr. Pottinger, seconded by Sr. Grove
  7. By-Election to elect WAC Vice Chair
    • Br. Mardli took the floor to run the election
    • Sr. Topnik nominated Sr. Sheilagh Hanson, seconded by Sr. Serina Pottinger
    • There were no other nominations
    • Sr. Hanson accepted the position
    • Will need to get bank papers signed and updated to have new signing authority
  8. Update – fix Phoenix protests
    • This Dec 13 pay week was in front of Doug Eyolfson’s Office
    • It has been a good turnout having the locals take turns having the protest
    • Do we want to start again in January?  First payday of the new year is January 10
    • There is a Local interested in the first payday, will send out a sign up sheet for future paydays
    • Request to have a info pamphlet to hand out to the public on these payday fix phoenix protests
    • Question – Br. Cooke asked about staging a walk out at his Local.  Was wondering if it could happen?
      • It is not recommended – staff could be disciplined, PSAC could be fined, we would lose credibility. 
    • What can be done? – Push the politicians, components should push for every member to get their file audited
    • Question – Can we do an ad on the radio/tv
      • Needs to go to national triennial convention and be voted on
      • Is very expensive
      • We currently have free advertisement with what we are doing
      • Remind members to watch what they say to press
  9. Update: Remembrance Day Wreath
    • We saved money as UVAE bought a wreath and added PSAC name to it
    • Laid Wreath
  10. Update – Santa Clause Parade
    • Ran out of candy WAY to soon again, otherwise it was a success
    • A lot of members helped throughout.
    • Suggestions – get swag next year.  Possibly bags? Candy with PSAC on it
    • Need to ask for higher budget for next year
    • Could we possibly look into buying PA system to have on had for all events including Santa Clause Parade/Pride, rally etc
    • Also look into requesting a storage unit to rent for all Parade stuff, swag, etc.  could keep all PSAC extra stuff in there
    • Need to create a checklist and delegate so that things can get done and not fall all on one person.
  11. National Area Council Conference Call
    • Looks like another one will be happening Jan 10, 2018
    • Last one was Dec 2014.  Was suppose to be every year, but hasn’t been
    • Is there any agenda items you want Br. Mardli to bring forward?
      • Ask about funding
      • More training
      • Communication
      • Budget – can it be changed?
      • Approval – timing is an issue
    • We are registered for the parade
    • November 18th is the date
    • Will need a lot of volunteers to help set up and be a part of the parade
    • More details to come
  12. Labour Grassroot Leaders Affiliation
    • Sr. Hanson is still getting wording together and working on a letter.
    • Will put a letter together and share with before sending out.
    • Hoping early in the New Year it will be ready
    • Local 50012 joined the Winnipeg Labour Council J
  13. Next Meeting:  Date TBD
    • Will send out by email
    • Need to see about the renovations
  14. Round Table:
    • Tracy – won’t be available for meeting in January until after the 16th
    • Chris – Parks and SSO still bargaining.  Not looking good
      • Canadian Human Rights Museum has accepted and ratifying on Wednesday
    • Sheilagh – there is a link for the bargaining conference for equity groups to sign up
  15. Adjournment – 17:00
    • Motioned by Sr. Topnik, seconded by Br. Little-Gagne

 

Our Organization:
Provinces: